Oreo cookie balls are perfect for the busy holiday season. With only 5 ingredients you can whip up a batch of Acorn Oreo truffles! This easy no-bake dessert is a real crowd pleaser!
- 1 8-ounce Brick of cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups finely-crushed Oreo cookies (about 36 cookies), any flavor
- 4 bars (4 ounces each) semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted
- 2/3 cup peanuts, crushed
- 1/2 cup mini pretzels, curved edges snapped off for stems
- MIX cream cheese and cookie crumbs until blended.
- SHAPE into 48 (1-inch) oblong balls. Freeze on a waxed paper-lined tray for 15 minutes.
- DIP Oreo cookie balls into melted chocolate. Dip one end into crushed peanuts. Insert a short piece of pretzel (the acorn stem) into the top.
- FREEZE Oreo truffles for 30 minutes (or refrigerate for one hour) until firm.
HELPFUL TIPS FOR OREO TRUFFLES
- KEEP THINGS COLD: Work in small batches. Once you form the cookie balls, keep the majority of them refrigerated (or in the freezer) until you’re ready to dip them into the melted chocolate.
- WHAT KIND OF CHOCOLATE FOR CANDY COATING? Use baking bars or chocolate wafers. Do do not use baking chips as this type of chocolate is not thick enough when melted.
- PREVENT CHOCOLATE FROM SEIZING: When melting chocolate, always make sure that the dish you use is bone dry. Any drop of water will cause the chocolate to seize up! Work with the chocolate in small batches. Start by melting 1 1/2 bars of the baking chocolate. Melt the rest as needed.
- WHAT TO DO IF CHOCOLATE COATING BECOMES TOO THICK: Microwave it in 10 seconds intervals, stirring after each session. Another method for thinning chocolate is to add 1/2 tablespoon vegetable shortening for every 4 ounces of chocolate.
- HOW LONG DO OREO BALLS LAST? Stored in an air-tight container, Acorn Oreo balls will last for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 2 months in the freezer. Use waxed paper to separate the Oreo truffles so they don’t clump together when frozen.
- Prep Time: 35 Minutes
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Category: No-Bake Desserts
- Method: Mixing Bowl
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Oreo Balls, Oreo cookie balls, Oreo Truffles, no-bake desserts