This air fryer crab cake sandwich is packed with delicious coastal flavors. Make sliders or serve on hamburger buns. For crab cake appetizers, serve with a dipping sauce and juicy lemon wedges.
AIR FRYER CRAB CAKES
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (Hellmann’s or Duke’s)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh lump crabmeat
FOR GARNISHING: Lemon wedges and sea salt
- 8 slider buns (or 4 regular-sized hamburger buns)
- Microgreens or butter lettuce
- Red onion, sliced
- Tomatoes, sliced
- Tartar sauce or chipotle mayo
- Cocktail sauce
RECIPE PREP: Line air fryer basket with parchment paper. Lightly spray it with olive oil spray. Have a few paper towels at the ready for wiping your hands as needed.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, mayonnaise, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce until well combined and slightly frothy.
- Add panko breadcrumbs, Old Bay Seasoning, and chopped parsley to the bowl. With a rubber spatula, mix to combine. Gently fold in lump crabmeat until just combined. Try to keep the pieces whole. We don’t want them broken up or shredded. Remove and discard any hard pieces or sharp cartilage.
- Lightly spray your hands to prevent the seafood mixture from sticking to them. Divide the mixture into patties. For sliders or appetizers, form 8 patties. For large crab cake sandwiches, make 4 patties. Lightly spray both sides of the cakes with olive oil.
- Arrange patties inside the air fryer basket, leaving room between the pieces. Don’t overcrowd the basket. For smaller appliances, you may need to cook them in batches. Air fry at 375°F. For smaller patties, cook 12 to 15 minutes. For larger patties, cook 15 to 17 minutes. The crab cakes are done when they’re golden blonde and the centers are 160°F to 165°F when checked with an instant-read thermometer.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the hot crab cakes. Sprinkle with salt. Assemble crab cake sandwiches with slider buns, your favorite condiments, and fresh produce. Serve while the patties are warm.
RECIPE TIP / OPTIONAL STEP: Chilling uncooked crab cakes in the fridge before air frying will help ingredients bind together better. Transfer uncooked patties to a tray. Cover with plastic. Chill 1 hour.
TYPE OF LUMP CRABMEAT TO BUY FOR THIS RECIPE: The larger the chunk, like jumbo lump, the pricer it will be. For making crab cakes, it really doesn’t matter how large the pieces are as they’ll be assembled into patties. What’s important is that the refrigerated crab is fresh. Flake crabmeat will work just fine. (Do not use shelf-stable canned crabmeat.)
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- OPTIONAL CHILLING TIME: 1 Hour
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Air Fryer Crab Cake Sandwich, Crab Cake Sandwich, Crab Cakes in Air Fryer, Air Fryer Crab Cakes