Brioche French toast sticks are caramelized on the outside, tender on the inside. This air fryer recipe is quick and easy to make. Dust sticks with powdered sugar. Serve with warm maple syrup for dipping.
For French Toast Sticks
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 4 slices brioche bread (each sliced 1-inch thick)
- Melted butter (optional) – for drizzling
- Powdered sugar – for sprinkling
- Maple syrup, warmed – for dipping
RECIPE PREP: Preheat the air fryer to 375°F for 5 minutes. After preheating, line the bottom of the basket with parchment paper (optional). Lightly grease the parchment paper and basket with a few spritzes of vegetable oil to prevent sticking.
- Slice brioche into 1-inch thick strips. In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Add granulated sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Submerge 3 to 4 strips in the bowl of custard. *Just a quick dunk is all that’s needed. Don’t let them sit in the batter too long or the strips can become soggy.
- Arrange the French toast sticks (about 8 to 12 pieces) in a single layer inside the air fryer basket. Make sure not to overcrowd the basket. If needed, plan to cook in batches.
- Air fry at 375°F for 5 minutes, or until golden and puffy.
- Transfer the French toast sticks to serving plates. If desired, drizzle or brush the sticks with melted butter. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with warm maple syrup for dipping.
*How long to soak the bread: If using fresh bread, submerge it in the custard for just a few seconds. Don’t let the bread soak too long or it will become soggy. If using stale bread, soak the slices for 3 to 5 minutes so the batter can penetrate the bread better. Allow any excess batter to drip off before frying.
Which is best – stale bread or fresh bread? Slightly stale bread is a winning choice for French toast. It can soak up more custard without becoming soggy. But it’s absolutely fine to use fresh bread too.
How to dry out bread for French toast: To make fresh bread stale, slice the loaf. Let the bread sit out on top of the wrapper (uncovered) overnight. Another option is using your oven. Place the slices on a wire rack (in a single layer) over a baking tray. Bake at 275°F for 10 to 12 minutes.
How to store French toast sticks: Arrange the strips inside a shallow airtight container or zip-top kitchen bag. Refrigerate for up to 2 days, or freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat strips in the air fryer.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 5 Minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Air Fryer French Toast Sticks, Brioche French Toast, French Toast Sticks, Air Fryer French Toast, French Toast Sticks in Air Fryer