Alphabet soup is a comforting, nourishing vegetable soup. It’s quick and easy to assemble, and so delicious. Enjoy ABC soup with saltine crackers, a grilled cheese sandwich, or a cheese quesadilla.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (+ a drizzle before serving)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion (yellow or white onion)
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water, or more if needed
- 1 cup potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, green beans, peas)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/4 cups dry alphabet pasta
OPTIONAL: Serve with saltine crackers
- In a large deep pot (or Dutch oven) heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onion, celery and garlic until fragrant and tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add all the spices to the pot, including salt and pepper, and stir.
- Add broth, water, frozen veggies, cubed potatoes, kidney beans, diced tomatoes with liquid, tomato paste, and bay leaves.
- Bring soup to a boil. Cover pot with a lid. Simmer 20 minutes. Remove lid. Add dry pasta. Simmer, uncovered, until pasta is tender and has doubled in size (about 10 minutes). Stir frequently. As kidney beans and pasta soak up a lot of liquid, you may need to add more (hot) water or broth to the pot before serving.
HOW TO SERVE ALPHABET SOUP: Remove bay leaves from the pot. Add a drizzle of olive oil to the surface. Ladle the soup into bowls. Serve with saltine crackers on the side.
SHOULD I THAW THE FROZEN VEGGIES? No. Do not thaw the frozen veggies before making this recipe. You’ll be pulling them from the freezer and adding them straight to the pot.
HOW LONG DOES VEGETABLE SOUP LAST IN THE FRIDGE? When stored in an airtight container, vegetable soup will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Add more broth or water before reheating. The noodles and beans soak up a lot of liquid.
CAN I FREEZE ALPHABET SOUP? Yes. ABC vegetable soup freezes really well. For the best taste and texture, use within 1 month. Thaw in the fridge. Reheat on stovetop with extra liquid. Add more broth or water.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Alphabet Soup, ABC Soup, Vegetable Soup