Alphabet soup is a comforting, nourishing vegetable soup. It’s quick and easy to make, and so delicious. Enjoy ABC soup with saltine crackers, a grilled cheese sandwich, or a cheese quesadilla.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion (yellow or white onion)
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water, or more if needed
- 1 cup potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, green beans, peas)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/4 cups dry alphabet pasta
For serving: saltine crackers
- In a large deep pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onion, celery and garlic until fragrant and tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add all the spices to the pot, including salt and pepper, and stir. Add broth, water, frozen veggies, cubed potatoes, kidney beans, diced tomatoes with liquid, tomato paste, and bay leaves.
- Bring soup to a boil. Cover pot with a lid. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid. Add in the dry pasta. Simmer, uncovered, until pasta is tender and has doubled in size (about 10 minutes). Stir frequently. [Because the noodles and beans soak up a lot of liquid, you may need to add more hot water or broth to the pot before serving.]
- Remove bay leaves from the pot. Add a drizzle of olive oil to the surface. Ladle the soup into bowls. Serve with saltine crackers on the side.
Do I need to thaw the frozen veggies? No, don’t thaw the frozen veggies. Just pull them from the freezer and add them straight to the pot.
How long does ABC soup last? When stored in an airtight container and refrigerated, this soup will stay fresh for up to 3 days. Add more broth or water before reheating. The noodles and beans soak up a lot of liquid.
Can I freeze alphabet soup? Yes. It freezes really well. For the best taste and texture, use within 1 month. Thaw in the fridge overnight. Reheat on the stovetop adding more broth or water for a perfect consistency.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Alphabet Soup, ABC Soup, Vegetable Soup