Homemade apple pop tarts are perfect for breakfast, snacks and dessert. These apple hand pies have a flaky buttery crust and a sweet/savory apple pie filling. They’re frosted with a tasty glaze.
Apple Pop Tarts
- 1 21–ounce can apple pie filling, or homemade apple pie filling
- 1 box (of 2) refrigerated pie crusts, or 2 homemade pie crusts
- 1 large egg plus a splash of water, whisked together for brushing
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
For Sprinkling – Optional
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon sparkling white (coarse) sugar
RECIPE PREP: Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line 1 baking tray with parchment paper or a reusable silicone baking mat and set it aside.
- Unroll 1 refrigerated pie crust on a lightly-floured surface. (If using a homemade crust, roll to 1/8-inch thick). With a round (3 1/4-inch) biscuit cutter, cut out 8 circles. To eliminate the need to gather any dough scraps together and re-roll, make sure all the lines are touching. Place dough circles on the prepared tray.
- Place 1 1/2 tablespoons apple pie filling in the middle of each circle, leaving a border around the edges.
- Unroll the second crust and cut out 8 circles. Place them on top of the filled circles. Pinch the edges to seal in the fruit filling. Poke the top of each apple pop tart with a fork to create a vent, then crimp the edges with a fork. In a ramekin, beat egg with a splash of water. Brush egg wash over the top of the apple hand pies.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until the crust is lightly golden. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Make the glaze. Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth. Spoon or drizzle the glaze over the cooled (or slightly-warm) pop tarts. If desired, sprinkle the frosting with a mix of turbinado sugar and sparkling white sugar.
How to Store Homemade Pop Tarts: Store leftovers in an airtight container on countertop in a cool environment for up to 3 days. Or refrigerate up to 5 days. For longer storage, freeze on a lined tray until solid. Then transfer to a freezer-safe container, placing squares of parchment paper between the layers. Freeze up to 1 month.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Apple Pop Tarts, Apple Hand Pie, Apple Hand Pie Recipe