Charred tomatoes and egg on avocado toast. Savory and delicious! A breakfast worth waking up for. Make this healthy recipe in 10 minutes.
- 4 slices rustic bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1–2 avocados, mashed or sliced
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
- Optional garnish: red pepper flakes
- Toast bread to desired crispness. (I used crispness level 4.) Rub it with a clove of garlic. Drizzle the toast with olive oil. Spread mashed avocado over the surface.
- Add olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the tomato slices. Sear only one side, undisturbed until charred, for about 3 minutes. Transfer the tomatoes to the avocado toast.
- Add oil to the pan. Cracks eggs into the skillet. Cook undisturbed for 3 minutes or until the whites are set. Transfer an egg to each piece of toast.
- Garnish as desired with salt and pepper, Italian parsley, and red pepper flakes.
EXPERT TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
- HOW TO MAKE AVOCADO TOAST HEALTHIER: Start with whole-grain bread. Instead of buttering your toast, drizzle olive oil over the surface. Add purple onions, or a nutrient-dense topping like alfalfa sprouts. Add a slice of your favorite cheese.
- HOW TO SELECT THE PERFECT AVOCADO: Use Hass avocados. If they’re green, they’re not ready to use. Look for avocados with a deep purple skin and no bruising. When gently squeezed they should not be rock hard or mushy. Ripe avocados will gently yield to the touch!
- MORE TOPPING IDEAS: For more texture, add a sprinkling of poppy seeds, sunflower seeds, or chia seeds. For a bit of spice, add jalapeno slices, hot sauce, or Tajin.
- HOW TO BRIGHTEN THE FLAVOR OF AVOCADO TOAST: Squeeze lemon or lime juice over the avocado!
- Prep Time: 4 Minutes
- Cook Time: 6 Minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Toaster
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Avocado Toast