This delicious breakfast sandwich is a quick and easy portable meal. It’s perfect for busy families! Without avocado, it’s an ideal make-ahead freezer recipe. Just add fresh avocado before serving.
- 1 bagel, any variety
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- 3 slices bacon, cooked until crisp
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons avocado, mashed
- 1 slice tomato
- Salt and pepper, to taste
RECIPE PREP: Cook bacon until crisp. Mash the avocado. Add diced tomatoes and fold them in. Slice bagel in half horizontally. Widen the hole on the top half of the bagel with a 2-inch or 3-inch biscuit cutter. Cut a slice of cheddar cheese. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a cast-iron comal (or an oven-safe skillet) over medium-high heat. Place bottom half of bagel in the pan, cut side down. Once toasted, flip it over. Top with a slice of cheddar cheese.
- Place the top half of the bagel over melted butter, cut side down. Crack an egg directly into the hole of the bagel. Position the yolk directly over the hole. Cook 1 minute.
- Transfer skillet to oven. Bake until the egg is set, about 8 to 10 minutes. Keep an eye on the bottom half of the bagel. Once the cheese has melted, remove it from the oven.
- Assemble the bagel breakfast sandwich. On the bottom half, spread avocado over the cheddar cheese. Arrange cooked bacon on top of the avocado. Put the egg-in-a-hole bagel piece on top. Season the egg with salt and pepper.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE WITHOUT AN OVEN-SAFE SKILLET: After cracking the egg in a hole, cover the skillet with a lid. Let the egg steam until cooked.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE FOR 2 OR MORE: Use a large baking tray. Lavishly butter up the bagels on the cut sides. Lightly toast them in the oven. Remove the tray. In the top pieces, put an egg in the hole. Lay a slice of cheese on the bottom halves. Return to the oven until eggs are set.
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch
- Method: Stovetop, Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Bagel Breakfast Sandwich, Breakfast Sandwich, Egg in a Hole