This post may contain affiliate links. Read full disclosure.
Baked apple cider donuts are a great way to celebrate fall. Brushed with butter and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, they’re tender and light with the perfect crumb. This classic recipe captures the fall flavor of donuts from apple orchard bakeries. Make them in 35 minutes.
🍩 About Apple Cider Donuts
When the leaves change color, our family heads to Apple Hill in Northern California. We visit wineries, apple orchards, and on-site bake shops. We pick apples and pumpkins, and bring home jugs of fresh apple cider.
These cider donuts are filled with the rustic flavors and scents of fall in the foothills. Your kitchen will smell like an apple-orchard bakery!
- Butter: For a rich, delicious buttery taste.
- Granulated Sugar: Adds delicious sweetness to the batter.
- Light Brown Sugar: Adds sweetness with a light caramel flavor.
- Large Eggs: Provide strength and structure for the batter.
- Vanilla Extract: Enhances the sweetness and provides a bakery aroma.
- All-Purpose Flour: Provides structure for the donuts. When mixed with liquid, a gluten framework forms that stretches and helps hold the ingredients together.
- Baking Powder: This leavening agent gives apple cider donuts the perfect rise.
- Kosher Salt: Enhances the flavor of the other ingredients.
- Ground Cinnamon: Adds warm fall flavor and aroma. If you don’t have this spice on hand, feel free to use apple pie spice instead.
- Ground mace or ground nutmeg: Contributes the traditional flavor of donuts.
- Apple Cider: It’s the star ingredient. It provides the delicious apple flavor that makes these baked treats apple cider donuts.
- Melted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
📖 Recipe Steps
Make the Donut Batter
- STEP 1: This first step is optional, but will give your donuts a greater depth of gorgeous apple flavor! 👉🏻 On the stovetop, reduce one cup of apple cider down to one-half cup. Cool the liquid before beginning this recipe.
- STEP 2: In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs, one by one, mixing well after each addition.
- STEP 3: Add flour, salt, baking powder, and spices. Mix on low speed until all ingredients are incorporated. As needed, stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- STEP 4: With the mixer running, slowly stream in the apple cider.
Bake the Donuts
These delicious fall favorites are baked not fried! Continue following this easy recipe for apple cider donuts:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Grease 2 donut pans with butter, or spray them with cooking spray.
- Fill the donut pan cavities to 2/3 full. Do not overfill!
- Bake for 15 minutes or until done. Cool in pan for 4-5 minutes.
Coat the Baked Donuts
- Melt the butter.
- In a bowl, mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Brush each donut with butter.
- Dredge in sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Use ground mace if you have it. After all, it’s the primary flavor of donut-shop favorites. Because nutmeg is pretty close, it’s a great substitute for mace in most donut recipes, including this one.
- How to keep the surface of baked donuts smooth: After removing donuts from the pan, cool on a baking tray. A cooling rack would leave unwanted marks across the surface!
- No donut pan? No problem. You can still make this easy recipe. Prep two muffin pans with cupcake liners. Fill each cavity 3/4 full. Bake at 350°F for about 18 minutes, or until a cake tester run through the middle of two separate muffins comes out clean. Makes one dozen apple cider donut muffins.
🧑🏼🍳 Recipe FAQ
These are the most commonly-asked questions when making baked apple cider donuts, and the most helpful answers for recipe success.
Reduce one cup apple cider down to 1/2 cup. On the stovetop, simmer the cider in a small saucepan over low heat for 15-20 minutes. Transfer the liquid to a freezer-safe bowl. Cool it in the freezer for 10 minutes before adding it to the donut batter. Another option: use thick, pourable, apple cider concentrate (boiled cider syrup).
Yes they can! This is the perfect recipe for freezing. Store them in the freezer for up to 6 weeks.
Grease the pans. Fill the cavities 2/3 full with batter. Bake at 350°F for 8-9 minutes. Makes 48 mini donuts.
Transfer batter to a large zip-top bag. Snip a corner of the bag. Pipe batter into donut pan cavities.
🍁 More Fall Recipes
- Glazed Pumpkin Hand Pies
- Pumpkin Muffins
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Pumpkin Pie Dip
- Pumpkin Overnight Oats
- Libby’s Pumpkin Pie
- Grandma’s Apple Pie
Rate This Recipe ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Flavor testers rated these the best baked apple cider donuts. They compared them against the same flavor donuts at Apple Hill bakeries in Northern California. They said the fluffy texture and delicious flavor was everything they were looking for in a fall donut.
If you agree this recipe’s a keeper, give it a 5-star rating in the comments. Then be a recipe hero. Share it with friends. 📌 Pin it to Pinterest.Print
Apple cider donuts are a fall favorite! Baked not fried, they’re lightly brushed with butter then sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. These are the farm-style donuts sold apple-orchard bakeries throughout the country.
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace OR ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup apple cider*
COATING FOR DONUTS
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
RECIPE PREP: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease the wells of two donut pans with butter, or spray them with cooking spray.
- Cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs one by one, mixing well after each addition.
- Add flour, salt, baking powder, and spices. Mix on low speed until all ingredients are well incorporated. As needed, stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- With your mixer running, slowly stream in the apple cider.
- Fill the donut pan cavities to 2/3 full. Bake for 15 minutes or until done. Allow donuts to cool in the pan for 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a baking tray.
- Melt 6 tablespoons butter. In a bowl, mix granulated sugar and cinnamon. While the donuts are still warm, brush them with melted butter. Dip them into the cinnamon sugar.
How to fill donut pans: Transfer batter to a large zip-top bag. Snip a corner of the bag. Pipe batter into donut pan cavities.
How to keep the surface of baked donuts smooth: After removing donuts from the pan, cool on a baking tray. A cooling rack would leave unwanted marks across the surface!
No donut pan? No problem. You can still make this recipe. Prep two muffin pans with cupcake liners. Fill each cavity 3/4 full. Bake at 350°F for about 18 minutes, or until a cake tester run through the middle of two separate muffins comes out clean. Makes one dozen apple cider donut muffins.
How to bake donuts in a mini donut pan: Grease the pans. Fill the cavities 2/3 full with batter. Bake at 350°F for 8-9 minutes. Makes 48 mini donuts.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Category: Donuts
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Apple Cider Donuts, Baked Apple Cider Donuts
Baked Apple Cider Donuts 👉🏻 Join the Convo
When was the last time you enjoyed a freshly-baked apple cider donut? Was it from a rural road-side stand? Share your favorite fall traditions in the comments below!