These bakery-style lemon blueberry muffins are incredibly scrumptious! The lemon zest and lemon juice added to the batter is like waving a magic wand over the muffins and brightening them up with a kiss of sunshine. The Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins recipe it’s inspired by calls for 2 full teaspoons of granulated sugar sprinkled on top. For this recipe we dial things down to 1/2 teaspoon of sanding sugar.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (reserve one tablespoon of the flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 + 1/4 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup high-quality butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Zest of one large lemon
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk (or 2% milk)
- 6 teaspoons white sanding sugar crystals
- Adjust your oven rack to the center position. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12-well muffin pan with paper liners. Set it aside.
- Add the flour to a medium mixing bowl, reserving one tablespoon of the flour for later. Add the baking powder and salt to the bowl. Whisk these three ingredients together well. Set the bowl aside.
- Rinse and drain the blueberries well. Pat them gently with a paper towel to remove more water. Add them to a medium mixing bowl with the reserved tablespoon of flour. Toss the blueberries in the flour so they’re well coated. This technique will keep the fruit from sinking down to the bottom of the batter. Set the bowl of floured blueberries aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy – at least two minutes. Add the vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest to the bowl and mix them in. This technique is very important: One by one, add each egg to the bowl of the stand mixer, mixing well after each addition.
- The flour adding technique is also very important. Don’t just add in all the dry ingredients at once! Begin by adding 1/3 of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Mix on low speed until just combined. We don’t want to over-mix at any time or this will create a dense batter! Use a rubber spatula, as needed, to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the sour cream and mix again briefly. Add more of the flour mixture and mix until incorporated. Add the milk and mix again. Add the remaining dry ingredients and blend until incorporated.
- Remove the mixing bowl from the stand mixer. With a rubber spatula, manually fold the floured blueberries into the batter. Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups, generously filling each cup all the way to the top and a little beyond. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of white sanding sugar on top of each muffin.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until the muffin crowns are a light golden brown and a cake tester inserted briefly into the center of two to three muffins comes out clean. Allow the muffins to completely cool down while still in the pan. Remove when they’re cool. Enjoy your freshly-baked lemon blueberry muffins!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the best way to store muffins? Store muffins in a zip-top plastic bag with any excess air removed, or in an air-tight container. At room temperature in a cool dry environment, your muffins will stay fresh for 1-2 days.
Can muffins be refrigerated? When properly stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container, your muffins will stay fresh for up to one week.
How do you keep muffins from getting soggy? Before storing freshly-baked muffins in an air-tight container, allow them to sit uncovered on a baking rack for an hour or two. This will allow enough time for excess heat to escape (heat causes condensation) and for additional excess moisture to be evaporated. Line a container or resealable plastic bag with a paper towel or thin kitchen cloth. Arrange the muffins in a single row and then cover them with another paper towel or cloth. Seal the container.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch, Snack, Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon blueberry muffins, blueberry muffins, lemon blueberry muffin recipe