This quick banana pudding pie on a vanilla wafer crust is rich and creamy. A nostalgic no-bake dessert, it’s been a family favorite for generations. Make this easy banana cream pie recipe in 10 minutes, then chill.
This quick banana cream pie recipe comes together with just a few simple ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need.
- Cold milk
- Instant vanilla pudding mix
- Pure vanilla extract
- Cool Whip (frozen whipped topping)
- Firm bananas
- Vanilla wafer crust, homemade or store-bought
- OPTIONAL: yellow food coloring
KITCHEN SMARTS: Never defrost a tub of frozen whipped topping on the countertop. It will go flat. Thaw the tub of Cool Whip overnight in the fridge.
EASY Ingredient sWAPs
Missing an ingredient for this no-bake dessert? Before putting on your shoes and heading to the store, check your fridge and pantry for these easy ingredient swaps.
- DAIRY MILK: For many recipes you can easily swap almond milk for dairy. But not for this recipe. The pie filling will not set. The Food Network weighs in: Will Jello Pudding Set with Almond Milk?
- INSTANT VANILLA PUDDING MIX: Instant banana pudding mix. But keep in mind, vanilla pudding gives this pie the best flavor. When using instant banana pudding, add an extra 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- VANILLA EXTRACT: If you don’t have this ingredient on hand, just leave it out. And don’t worry. Your banana cream pie will still be delicious!
- COOL WHIP: Homemade whipped cream with whipped cream stabilizer. The stabilizer is an absolute must for no-bake pies to prevent a loose runny filling. Bakeries use it for their whipped cream toppings.
- VANILLA WAFER CRUST: Banana cream pies also taste delicious with a graham cracker crust or a flaky pie crust.
BEST PIE PAN FOR THIS RECIPE
I’m frequently asked for bakeware recommendations. Hands down, I’m a fan of USA Pan bakeware. Just picking up a piece in your hands you feel the heft, quality and workmanship of this commercial-grade product.
For my banana pudding pie, I used their beautiful metal pie pan. You can order one online through the Amazon affiliate link below. I suggest investing in a pair of two. Along with a pie server, this item makes a perfect gift.
RECIPE PREP: Make sure the tub of Cool Whip has been thawed in the fridge. Par-bake a cookie crust in a 350°F oven for 7 to 8 minutes until light golden blonde. Cool the crust completely. Slice 1 1/2 bananas into 1/4-inch slices.
- STEP 1: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together milk, instant pudding mix, and vanilla extract. Keep whisking 2 minutes until mixture thickens to a pudding consistency. Let filling set 5 minutes to continue thickening.
- STEP 2: Add 3 cups of thawed Cool Whip to the bowl. (If using food coloring, add a few drops now.) Gently fold it into the mixture with a rubber spatula. Don’t over-mix or the filling will go flat.
- STEP 3: Spoon half the pudding mixture into the pie crust. Arrange an even layer of banana slices over the top.
- STEP 4: Spread remaining pudding over the bananas. Top the banana pudding pie with a layer of Cool Whip, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the sides. We want the filling of the banana cream pie visible.
CHILL BANANA PUDDING PIE: Freeze 4 to 6 hours to set. If frozen longer, defrost 10 to 15 minutes at room temperature so slicing is easier.
HOW TO GARNISH BANANA CREAM PIE: Before serving, garnish the top with freshly-sliced bananas.
RECIPE FAQ & EXPERT TIPS
Achieve recipe success when assembling this easy banana cream pie with pudding. Below we answer the most frequently asked questions about this quick and easy no-bake dessert.
To defrost a tub of Cool Whip, transfer it from the freezer to the fridge. An 8-ounce tub will take about 6 hours to defrost. A 16-ounce container takes 7 to 8 hours to defrost. Never defrost it on the countertop. The whipped topping will go flat.
Put banana slices in a bowl. Drizzle lemon juice over the slices. This not only helps prevent the bananas from turning brown, it will also keep them moist so they don’t dry out. If desired, before adding them to the pie, pat the slices dry with a paper towel.
Brush a cold unbaked crust with egg wash (1 egg white whisked with 1 tablespoon water). Bake 3 to 5 minutes in a 350°F oven until dry. The dried egg wash creates a moisture barrier between the filling and the rustic cookie crumb crust.
Sweetened shredded coconut that’s been lightly toasted, sliced strawberries, or sliced kiwi.
In addition to sliced bananas, drizzle the top of the firmly chilled pie with chocolate syrup. If desired, sprinkle the top with sliced almonds.
For the whipped-topping garnish, skip the Cool Whip. Instead, top the banana pudding pie with homemade whipped cream. For this option, use whipped cream stabilizer to keep the topping beautifully firm.
Use a pre-formed crust from the supermarket. Just keep in mind that pre-formed crusts are generally smaller (with shallower sides) than a homemade 9-inch crust. So you may have some leftover filling.
In the freezer, homemade banana pudding pie will keep its texture up to 1 week. If tented loosely in foil and refrigerated, a banana cream pie will stay fresh in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. Store pie on a refrigerator shelf away from fragrant foods like beans, meat, onion, garlic, etc.
For visual appeal, keep the color a nice soft light yellow. But to deepen up the color just a bit, add 2 to 3 tiny drops of yellow food coloring to the filling mixture. Gently fold it in. But don’t over-mix or the filling will loose volume.
BEST DESSERTS TO MAKE ASAP
If you love this banana pudding pie, you’ll enjoy these easy recipes too. Each of these delicious desserts is perfect for spring and summer entertaining. Add them to your recipe arsenal!
RATE THIS RECIPE ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Friends say this is the best banana cream pie recipe! They say it rivals the taste and texture of an old-fashioned banana cream pie that take much longer to make. If you agree, give it a 5-star rating in the comments.Print
This is the best easy recipe for banana pudding pie. This no-bake dessert is shockingly quick to assemble! Enjoy banana cream pie for holidays, potlucks and social gatherings.
1 9-inch vanilla wafer crust, homemade or store-bought
- 1 cup cold milk (2% or whole milk)
- 1 box (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups Cool Whip (frozen whipped topping), thawed*
- 1 1/2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- OPTIONAL: Yellow food coloring
- 1 1/2 cups Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 1/2 medium firm bananas, sliced
*SIZE OF COOL WHIP FOR THIS RECIPE: One 16-ounce tub or two 8-ounce tubs. A 16-ounce tub yields about 5 cups of whipped topping.
RECIPE PREP: Par-bake cookie crust in a 350°F oven for 7 to 8 minutes until light golden blonde. Cool the crust completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, pudding mix, and vanilla extract for 2 minutes to thicken it to pudding consistency. Let the mixture set for 5 minutes. It will continue to thicken. Add 3 cups thawed Cool Whip to the bowl. (If using food coloring, add it now.*) Gently fold it in with a rubber spatula. Don’t over-mix, or the filling will go flat.
- Spoon half the pudding mixture into the pie crust. Arrange an even layer of banana slices over the top. Spread the remaining pudding over the bananas. Top the banana pudding pie with a layer of Cool Whip, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the sides. We want the filling of the banana cream pie visible.
- Freeze 4 to 6 hours to set. If frozen longer, defrost 10 to 15 minutes at room temperature so slicing is easier. Before serving, garnish the top with freshly-sliced bananas.
*OPTIONAL: If you’d like to gently deepen the color of the filling, add 1 to 3 tiny drops of yellow food coloring. Fold it in. Don’t over-mix or the filling will deflate. For the best visual appeal, keep the color a nice soft yellow.
HOW TO KEEP BANANA SLICES FROM TURNING BROWN: Put banana slices in a wide shallow bowl. Drizzle lemon juice over the slices. This will not only help prevent the bananas from turning brown, it will also keep them moist so they don’t dry out. Before using them in the banana pudding pie, pat the slices dry between paper towels.
HOW LONG DOES BANANA PUDDING PIE LAST? In the freezer, homemade banana pudding pie will keep its texture up to 1 week. If tented loosely in foil and refrigerated, a banana cream pie will stay fresh in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. Store pie on a refrigerator shelf away from fragrant foods like beans, meat, onion, garlic, etc.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Banana Pudding Pie, Banana Cream Pie, Banana Pie
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Do you love making and serving no-bake desserts? What are your favorites? What do you think of this banana pudding pie recipe? Share your thoughts in the comments below.