This fluffy waffle recipe makes the best homemade Belgian waffles. Enjoy them with butter and maple syrup, or powdered sugar and your favorite berries.
- 1 large egg, yolk and white separated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/8 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup milk
For brushing waffle-iron grids: 2 tablespoons melted butter
* 1/8 cup = 2 tablespoons
RECIPE PREP: Preheat oven to 250°F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Put the bowl aside.
- In a large batter bowl, whisk egg yolk until nice and fluffy. Add oil and vanilla. Blend well.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Gradually add dry ingredients to the egg mixture, alternating with milk. Mix until incorporated.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter until there are no visible white streaks.
- Preheat waffle iron. Brush grids with melted butter. Pour or ladle batter into the bottom grid. Close the iron. Cook waffles according to appliance instructions. Transfer cooked Belgian waffles to a baking tray. Keep waffles warm in the oven until serving time.
- HOW TO FREEZE HOMEMADE WAFFLES: Place cooled waffles between sheets of waxed paper or parchment paper. (Ice crystals will form on the surface of warm waffles.) Slide them into a large zip-top bag. Remove excess air. Freeze for up to 1 month.
- HOW TO REHEAT FROZEN WAFFLES: The easiest way is in a standard toaster or toaster oven. Another way is under the oven broiler, flipping them over after 30 seconds.
- MORE HELPFUL INFO ABOUT THIS RECIPE can be found within the body of the post.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Waffle Iron
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Belgian Waffles, Homemade Waffles, Fluffy Waffles