A perfectly ripe avocado – the kind you want for this recipe – is purple-black in color and yields to gentle pressure. An over-ripe avocado is black and mushy.
- 3 Haas Avocados
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup Roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped (no stems)
- 1 Jalapeno or Serrano chile (about 1 tablespoon), finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or maybe a little bit more!)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, squeeze the juice from 3 key limes
- Optional Garnish: cilantro leaves on stems, or sprinkling of Mexican Cotija Cheese
- Using a knife or avocado tool, slice avocados in half. Reserve the pits for later.
- Remove the peels and place the avocado in a bowl.
- Mash the avocados until the consistency is smooth with just a few small lumps.
- Add remaining ingredients to the bowl. Gently fold all ingredients together.
- If serving guacamole as an appetizer, transfer Mexican Guacamole to a molcajete.
- Garnish with a few cilantro leaves on stems, or a sprinkling of Mexican Cotija Cheese.
- Serve guacamole with restaurant-style tortilla chips.
- Control the heat factor: Jalapeno chiles are milder than Serrano chiles!
- If your guacamole will not be enjoyed right away, add in an avocado pit or two, and squeeze a bit more lime juice on top. This will help the guacamole from turning brown.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Lunch, Dinner
- Method: By hand
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tex-Mex
Keywords: Mexican guacamole, guacamole recipe, authentic guacamole recipe