Birthday cake popcorn makes any occasion more festive! This recipe is ideal for serving popcorn in a bowl, making popcorn balls, or a fun popcorn cake.
- 14 cups popped popcorn (white)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 10-ounce bag mini marshmallows (6 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups funfetti cake mix
- Rainbow sprinkles candy (edible jimmies)
- Transfer popped popcorn to a large bowl. With clean hands, sift out and remove all un-popped kernels. Discard the kernels. Set the bowl of popcorn aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over low heat. Add mini marshmallows to the skillet. Continuously stir until marshmallows are completely melted. Remove pan from heat.
- Spoon funfetti cake mix into the skillet. Add milk and vanilla extract. Mix with a spatula until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Add popped popcorn to the skillet, two cups at a time. Keep folding the popcorn into the thick, sticky cake-batter mixture until all the popcorn has beed added. For a less sticky mixture, add in a few extra cups of popcorn. Sprinkle rainbow confetti candy over the surface. Fold it into the mix. Add more confetti candy candy on top.
- Transfer to a bowl and enjoy! You can also form popcorn balls or a fun popcorn cake!
- HOW MUCH POPCORN TO MAKE FOR A PARTY: Triple this recipe. As a back-up plan, offer plain or buttered popcorn to make sure there’s enough for all.
- HOW TO ASSEMBLE THIS RECIPE FASTER: In advance, head to your local popcorn store. Purchase an XL bag of popped popcorn. This is what I do when getting ready for a party!
- HOW TO SERVE BIRTHDAY CAKE POPCORN: Add individual servings to cellophane bags or small zip-top bags. When serving small children, form the mixture into popcorn balls. If party guests will be serving themselves from a large bowl, provide a spoon-shaped spatula for scooping the popcorn along with small disposable cups.
- CAN BIRTHDAY CAKE POPCORN BE MADE IN ADVANCE? It can be made several hours before it’s served, or one day in advance. Store in large zip-top bags with all the air pressed out.
- MORE INFO ABOUT THIS RECIPE: More tips are included in the body of the post, along with helpful step-by-step recipe images.
- Category: Dessert, Snacks
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Birthday Cake Popcorn, Cake Batter Popcorn, Confetti Popcorn, Funfetti Popcorn