Biscotti lovers rejoice! Today I’m sharing my easy biscotti recipe. These delicious twice-baked Italian cookies are crunchy on the edges with a softer crumb in the middle. The best part? Their bottoms are drizzled with melted chocolate!
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #teaproudly #myhotteamonth #CollectiveBias
Biscotti originates from medieval Latin. It means “twice cooked.” These buttery Italian cookies are indeed baked twice to get them lightly crisp! This biscotti recipe produces yummy cookies with the right amount of crunch and flavor without being traditionally rock-hard dry. With a slightly tender middle, they’re an absolute delight!
PAIR BISCOTTI COOKIES WITH TEA
Tea proudly with comforting, fragrant Bigelow Constant Comment! This brand offers a variety of beautifully-soothing flavors that provide unique experiences: Earl Grey, Green Tea, Green Tea with Lemon, and cozy camomile. There’s something very special about sipping a warm cup of this inviting beverage. Hover over the photo below. Click through to Walmart.com to buy a box of Bigelow Tea today!
ENJOY TEA WITH BISCOTTI COOKIES
Because settling is not an option, Bigelow is my tea of choice! During the day it reenergizes the body and soul, leaving me feeling uplifted and refreshed! It’s also a wonderful way to start or end the day in a calm and relaxing way, especially with biscotti cookies! Packed in foil to assure freshness, a variety of flavors can be confidently stored in the pantry. They’re a real conversation starter when friends stop by for a visit. Picking a flavor is an exciting pleasure. It’s hard to choose just one!
EXPERT TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
Achieve beautiful results with these expert baking tips:
- USE A BISCOTTI PAN: Loaves can be formed on a baking tray, but if you make biscotti cookies often it’s wonderful to have a specialized pan. It makes shaping the dough into logs quick and easy.
- TWO TECHNIQUES TO MEASURE FLOUR CORRECTLY: Measured by weight with a scale, 1 cup all-purpose flour weighs 4 1/4 ounces or 120 grams. A second method is to fluff up the flour with a spoon inside the flour container. Use the spoon to sprinkle flour into the measuring cup one spoonful at a time; level off the cup with a knife.
- ALMOND BISCOTTI: For crunchier treats, briefly toast the almonds in the oven at 350 degrees F for 3-4 minutes, keeping a very close eye on them as they bake.
- HOW TO HANDLE STICKY DOUGH: The batter for these cookies is very thick and sticky. To make the batter easier to handle, stick your freezer-safe mixing bowl with dough into the freezer for 25-30 minutes. You can also use a bit of flour or cooking spray on your hands to help battle the stickiness!
- HOW TO MINIMIZE CRACKING WHEN SLICING: Brushing melted butter over the top and sides of the biscotti after the first bake will make it easier to slice and reduce the amount of cracking.
- HOW TO SLICE BISCOTTI: Slice loaves straight down, perpendicular to the board, with a serrated knife. This will allow the pieces to lay flat during the second bake.
RECOMMENDED PAN FOR BISCOTTI
I love USA Pan products. They’re high-quality essential tools for happy well- equipped kitchens. Now that baking season is here, it’s a fantastic time to add this USA biscotti pan to your collection!
Buy it now through this Amazon affiliate link:
These are the simple ingredients you’ll need to make a beautiful batch of homemade Italian cookies:
- Good-quality butter
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
- Fresh lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Large eggs
- Baking Powder
- Sea salt
- All-purpose flour
- Sliced almonds
- Bars of semi-sweet chocolate
HOW TO MAKE BISCOTTI
The batter for this easy biscotti recipe is super thick. I recommend using a stand mixer.
- STEP 1: Preheat oven. With a knife, cut the butter into chunks. Add sugar and butter to a large mixing bowl. Beat until well incorporated.
- STEP 2: Add lemon juice, vanilla, and almond extract. Briefly mix.
- STEP 3: Crack eggs into the bowl. Mix well.
- STEP 4: Add baking powder and lemon zest. Mix again.
Italian cookies are such a joy to make! Continue to follow these easy biscotti recipe instructions:
- STEP 5: Measure flour. Add it to the bowl. Mix until fully incorporated.
- STEP 6: Add sliced almonds. Mix briefly.
- STEP 7: Spray the sides of two biscotti pans with cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper. If using cookie sheets, line them with silicone baking mats.
- STEP 8: With a spatula and your fingertips, divide the cookie dough between the two pans. Spread the batter evenly and smooth out the tops. For baking trays: form logs, 11-1/2 inches by 5 inches, one on each tray.
You’re almost done with this simple biscotti recipe!
- STEP 9: Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Brush top and sides of each loaf with melted butter. Cool for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board.
- STEP 10: Slice the slab into one-inch strips.
- STEP 11: On a parchment-lined baking tray, arrange slices on their sides. Return to oven for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Allow biscotti cookies to cool completely. They’ll continue to harden as they cool.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE DIPPED BISCOTTI
Melt chocolate according to package directions. Using the back of a small dessert spoon, paint melted chocolate along the bottom of the cookies. Place them on a silicone baking mat until the chocolate has hardened.
HOW TO STORE ITALIAN COOKIES
After the cookies have completely cooled, wrap them well in plastic. Biscotti can be stored countertop at room temperature for several weeks.
CAN I FREEZE HOMEMADE BISCOTTI?
Yes, you can freeze homemade biscotti! Italian cookies, preferably not dipped in chocolate, can be frozen for up to 3 months. Dip your treats in melted chocolate once they’ve been defrosted!
RATE THIS RECIPE ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Did you enjoy these Italian cookies? Rate this recipe in the comments below!
Enjoy this delightful recipe for how to make biscotti! These twice-baked Italian cookies are crisp and crunchy on the edges with a more tender crumb in the middle. Drizzled with a layer of melted chocolate on the bottom, they’re absolutely scrumptious!
- 1 stick butter, lightly softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light-brown sugar, lightly packed
- 3–1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2–3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 bars semi-sweet baking chocolate
- Adjust oven rack to center position. Heat oven to 350°F (177°C). Prepare 2 biscotti pans by spraying the sides and lining the bottoms with parchment paper. If using 2 baking trays, line with silicone bakings mats.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until well creamed. Drizzle lemon juice, vanilla extract, and almond extract on the mixture. Mix until blended. Crack eggs into the bowl. Beat again. Add baking powder, salt and lemon zest to the bowl. Mix briefly. Add flour. Mix until fully incorporated. Toss in almonds and mix briefly.
- With clean hands and a spatula, evenly divide the biscotti batter between the baking pans or trays. Form each half into a log that’s approximately 11-1/2 inches X 5 inches. Smooth the tops with a spatula.
- One at a time, bake the biscotti for 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Brush 1 tablespoon of melted butter over the top and sides of the loaf. Wait 10 minutes. Transfer loaf to a cutting board. With a serrated knife, slice biscotti crosswise into 12 one-inch pieces. Cut slices perpendicular to the board.
- On a lined baking sheet, set the pieces flat on their sides with one cut side facing down. Return them to the oven for 10 minutes to crisp them up. Do not flip the biscotti while baking! Once they’re a bit dry, lightly crisp, and golden around the edges, remove from the oven. To prevent breakage, allow the pieces to remain on the baking sheet until they’ve shed off heat and are stiff enough to handle. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely. These Italian cookies will harden and become dryer as they cool.
- Melt chocolate according to package instructions. With the back of a spoon, spread melted chocolate onto the bottom of each piece of biscotti. Transfer to a silicone mat. Allow chocolate to dry and harden.
EXPERT TIPS FOR BISCOTTI RECIPE
Wondering how to make biscotti with beautiful results? Simply follow these expert baking tips!
- USE A BISCOTTI PAN: Loaves can be baked on a cookie sheet, but if you make these cookies often it’s wonderful to have a specialized pan. It makes forming the dough into logs quick and easy.
- TWO TECHNIQUES TO MEASURE FLOUR CORRECTLY: Measured weight using a scale, 1 cup AP flour weighs 120 grams or 4 1/4 ounces. A second method is to fluff up the flour with a spoon inside the flour container. Use the spoon to sprinkle flour into the measuring cup one spoonful at a time; level off the cup with a knife.
- CRUNCHY ALMOND BISCOTTI: For crunchier treats, briefly toast the almonds in the oven at 350 degrees F for 3-4 minutes, keeping a very close eye on them as they bake.
- HOW TO WORK WITH STICKY BATTER: The dough for these cookies is very thick and sticky. To make the batter easier to handle, simply stick your stainless-steel mixing bowl with the dough into the freezer for 25-30 minutes. You can also lightly spray your hands with a bit of cooking spray to help battle the stickiness!
- HOW TO MINIMIZE CRACKING WHEN SLICING: Brushing melted butter over the top and sides of the biscotti after the first bake will make it easier to slice and minimize cracking.
- HOW TO SLICE BISCOTTI: Use a serrated knife. Slice perpendicular to the cutting board. This straight shape will allow the pieces to lay flat during the second bake.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: biscotti, biscotti cookies, Italian cookies
BISCOTTI RECIPE > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Do you love this recipe? Save it for later. PIN IT NOW!
COOKIE RECIPES YOU’LL ENJOY
BISCOTTI COOKIES > JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Did you love this tutorial for how to make biscotti? Share your thoughts in the comments below!