This Blue Margarita is the signature drink of seaside Mexican resorts. It’s now easier than ever to bring that vacation vibe home. Make these easy tequila cocktails for your summer parties!
- Margarita salt (for rimming glasses)
- 4 oz Tequila (like Silver Patron Blanco)
- 2 oz triple sec
- 6 Mexican limes (key limes)
- 2 oz Blue Curacao (orange liqueur)
- 2 oz simple syrup
- Ice cubes
- Garnishes: lime slice and/or orange slice
BLUE MARGARITA RECIPE
RECIPE PREP: Rim the Margarita glass with coarse salt. Holding the glass upside down, dip the edge of the glass into simple syrup to lightly moisten the drinking surface. Then dip the edge of the glass into a dish of Margarita salt. Twist the glass until it’s well coated.
- Fill a cocktail shaker halfway full with ice.
- Add Tequila, triple sec, Curacao, and simple syrup to the shaker.
- With a lime press, squeeze the juice from limes into the container.
- Securely attach the shaker lid. Shake hard for 30 seconds.
- Pour the Blue Margarita into a salt-rimmed glass. Garnish with fruit, as desired.
HOW TO RELEASE THE MAXIMUM JUICE FROM A LIME: This is a bartender’s tip! On your work surface, beneath the palm of your hand, roll each lime back and forth several times. Exert light pressure as you roll. Then use a lime press to squeeze out the juice.
HOW TO BATCH THIS TEQUILA COCKTAIL FOR PARTIES: Prep the Blue Margarita mixture without ice. Store it in the fridge or in an iced-down beverage container. When ready to serve, pour the mixture over ice in salt-rimmed glasses. Garnish and enjoy.
BLENDED BLUE MARGARITA: Add drink ingredients to a blender with 1 cup ice. Blend until mixture has a smoothie consistency. Pour cocktail into a salt-rimmed glass.
RECIPE VARIATION – NO ICE: Chill cocktail glass in advance. Prep Blue Margarita mix in advance and chill. Pour the cold drink into the chilled glass, without ice.
DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE: A Blue Margarita is a fairly strong cocktail. One serving is about half the strength of a shot of Tequila. With both Blue Curacao and Tequila in the mix, this cocktail is about 46 proof.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Category: Cocktails, Drinks
- Method: Cocktail Shaker
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Blue Margarita, Tequila Cocktails