These buffalo chicken meatballs have a rich savory flavor with a delicious kick of heat. They taste just like those served at sports bars and restaurants. Enjoy with blue cheese or ranch dipping sauce.
BUFFALO CHICKEN MEATBALLS
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles (or feta cheese)
- 3 tablespoons buffalo sauce, preferably Frank’s Hot
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
BUTTERY BUFFALO SAUCE FOR TOSSING
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce, preferably Frank’s Hot
- 3 tablespoons butter
GARNISHES – OPTIONAL
- Green onion, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- Blue cheese crumbles or feta cheese
BUFFALO CHICKEN MEATBALLS
RECIPE PREP: Preheat oven to 400°F. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over the baking tray to grease it. Reserve second tablespoon of olive oil for later.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg with a fork. Add the breadcrumbs, blue cheese (or feta), buffalo sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt and pepper. Mix well to combine. Add ground chicken to the bowl. Mix it gently. This is very important. We don’t want to overly compact the meat.
- Fill a small bowl with water for dipping your fingers and hands. Having a bit of liquid on your hands will make it easier to handle the meat without it sticking. Divide the meat mixture into 15 golf-ball sized meatballs. Roll the balls between your palms until smooth and round.
- Arrange meatballs on the prepared baking tray. Leave room between the pieces so they can brown on all sides. Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over the top of the meatballs. Bake for 15 minutes or until the interior temperature registers 165°F on a food thermometer.
- While meatballs are in the oven, prepare the buttery buffalo sauce sauce on stovetop. Add buffalo sauce and butter to a saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, whisk to combine. Remove pan from heat.
- Add meatballs to a large bowl. Pour sauce over the balls and toss until well coated. Transfer buffalo balls to a serving dish. Garnish with cheese crumbles and sliced green onion. Serve immediately.
HOW TO SERVE APPETIZER MEATBALLS: Serve with a dipping sauce like blue cheese dressing or ranch dressing. If desired, include a crunchy side like celery sticks or carrot sticks. In Mexico we include juicy wedges of lime and a pinch bowl with flaky sea salt.
HOW TO STORE BUFFALO BALLS: After the chicken meatballs have cooled, place them inside an airtight container. Refrigerate up to 3 days. Reheat in a 350°F oven until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Buffalo Chicken Meatballs, Buffalo Balls, Buffalo Chicken Meatball Recipe, Buffalo Chicken Balls