These crispy buffalo chicken wontons (also called rangoons) are cooked in the air fryer. They’re easy appetizers stuffed with a savory mixture of cream cheese, chicken and buffalo sauce. Make a batch in 20 minutes!
What I love most about this wonton recipe is that it’s quick and easy to put together on the fly. All you need are a few refrigerator and pantry staples. And because these buffalo chicken rangoon are cooked in an air fryer, there’s no oily mess on the countertop. And clean-up’s a breeze.
When unexpected (but very welcome) guests arrived this past weekend, I reached into the fridge. I grabbed some leftover rotisserie chicken, a block of cream cheese, and basic ingredients I already had on hand. I plugged in the air fryer and whipped up a batch of these party snacks in no time flat.
When I serve buffalo chicken wontons on Game Day and for parties they’re always a huge hit. This tasty finger food is a restaurant-style appetizer that looks and tastes gourmet. And you don’t need plates or forks to serve it. Just a small stack of appetizer napkins.
When large groups gather at my home during summer, I automatically triple the recipe. Never has a wonton been leftover in the dish. They’re snagged and gobbled down quickly. And someone always asks for this recipe!
- Chicken: For this recipe I used hand-shredded rotisserie chicken. But you can also use canned, roasted or boiled chicken.
- Cream Cheese: This savory ingredient adds creaminess to the luscious mixture. It helps balance out the spices and holds the filling together. Make sure the cheese is fully softened so it incorporates smoothly.
- Buffalo Sauce: My choice is Frank’s Red Hot, but you can use any brand you prefer. Choose one with a medium spice level so the buffalo wontons aren’t extra spicy.
- Mozzarella Cheese: This ingredient adds additional creaminess and cheesiness to the buffalo chicken rangoon. But if you don’t have mozzarella on hand, feel free to use Pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, mild cheddar cheese, or even blue cheese.
- Green Onions: In the buffalo mixture they provide a light onion flavor with a lovely fresh taste. For garnishing the finished dish they provide freshness, extra texture, and pop of color. If you’re not fond of green onion, feel free to use 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley instead.
- Garlic Powder: With subtle earthy notes, it enhances the flavor of the other ingredients. But if you don’t like garlic you can leave it out.
- Wonton Wrappers: At the market, look for this ingredient in the refrigerated produce section. It’s usually next to the tofu. If this product is not available, Curious Cuisiniere shares her easy recipe for homemade wonton wrappers.
- Olive Oil Spray: This product helps the wontons crisp up while cooking and prevents them from sticking to fryer basket.
RECIPE PREP: Preheat air fryer to 400°F. For small air fryers less than 3 quarts, preheat for 2 minutes. For larger units, preheat for 5 minutes. I have several machines. For this recipe I used the 7-quart PowerXL Vortex.
- STEP 1: In a medium bowl, combine the shredded chicken, softened cream cheese, buffalo sauce, mozzarella cheese, green onion, and garlic powder.
- STEP 2: Arrange 2 teaspoons of buffalo chicken filling in the center of each wonton. Brush the edges of the wonton wrappers with water. It will help to seal them well so the filling won’t leak out.
- STEP 3: Bring one corner of the wrapper over the filling to the opposite side to form a triangle. With your fingertips, press the two edges of the wrapper together to seal the wonton. Repeat with remaining wontons.
- STEP 4: Generously spray the air fryer basket with olive oil. Arrange several wontons inside the basket without overcrowding the area. You’ll be air frying in batches.
- STEP 5: Spray the top of the appetizers with olive oil. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the buffalo chicken wontons are golden brown. Garnish with sliced green onions. Serve with dipping sauce. Enjoy immediately.
KITCHEN TIP: Don’t place hot fried food on paper towels. The items can become soggy or stick to the paper. Instead, transfer the chicken wontons to a wire rack set over a rimmed baking tray. Slip the tray into a warm (200°F) oven while you finish cooking the final batches.
DIPPING SAUCES FOR WONTONS
In addition to store-bought Frank’s Red Hot buffalo sauce or Thai sweet chili sauce, here are other flavorful dipping sauces that pair well with buffalo chicken wontons. Try 2 or more of these sauces and discover your favorites!
- Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Asian Salad Dressing
These are the most commonly-asked questions when making buffalo chicken wontons and the most helpful answers for recipe success.
Line a baking tray with paper towels, then place a wire rack over the tray. Pour 1 1/2 inches of canola oil into a heavy skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, fry the wontons in batches for about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip them over as they cook so all sides are golden blonde. Transfer cooked wontons to the prepared tray with wire rack.
Try adding one or more of these healthy ingredients to the creamy filling: shredded carrots, minced bamboo shoots, or minced water chestnuts. You can even add a pinch of ground white pepper.
Chicken wontons can be assembled a few hours in advance and then cooked later. Place the prepped wontons on a tray lined with a damp towel. Then cover the wontons in a damp towel to prevent the wonton wrappers from drying out. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
This is not recommended. Once the wontons are fried they should be served and enjoyed immediately, while they’re still crisp. After a while, the exterior of the wontons will become soggy.
MORE AIR FRYER RECIPES
If you’re fond of using the air fryer, try these delicious air fryer recipes! Each is a time-tested favorite that’s super easy to make. Print out your favorites to save them for later, or pin them to Pinterest.
- Air Fryer Taquitos
- Air Fryer Sweet Chili Tofu
- Air Fryer Crab Cake Sandwich
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Fried Olives – Air Fryer Recipe
RATE THIS RECIPE ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Discerning taste testers say these are the BEST buffalo chicken wontons. They enjoyed the crispy texture and tasty filling. And with great success, they were able to make this easy recipe at home using their own air fryers.
If you too enjoyed these tasty wontons, give this rangoon recipe a 5-star rating in the comments. Then be a recipe hero. Share it with a friend.Print
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion, plus more for garnishing
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 24 wonton wrappers
- Olive oil spray
FOR SERVING: Your favorite dipping sauce.
RECIPE PREP: Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. For small air fryers less than 3 quarts, preheat for 2 minutes. For larger units, preheat 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the shredded chicken, softened cream cheese, buffalo sauce, mozzarella cheese, green onion, and garlic powder.
- Arrange 2 teaspoons of buffalo chicken filling in the center of each wonton. Brush the edges of the wonton wrappers with water. It will help to seal them so the filling won’t leak out.
- Bring one corner of the wrapper over the filling to the opposite side to form a triangle. With your fingertips, press the two edges of the wrapper together to seal the wonton. Repeat with remaining wontons.
- Generously spray the air fryer basket with olive oil. Arrange several wontons inside the basket without overcrowding the area. You’ll be air frying in batches. Spray the top of the appetizers with olive oil. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the buffalo chicken wontons are golden brown. Garnish with sliced green onions. Serve with dipping sauce. Enjoy immediately.
KITCHEN TIP: After air frying, transfer hot wontons to a wire rack set over a rimmed baking tray. You can slip the tray into a warm (200°F) oven while you finish cooking the final batches.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Asian-American
Keywords: Buffalo Chicken Wontons, Buffalo Chicken Rangoon, Air Fryer Wontons, Chicken Wontons, Chicken Wonton Recipe
Buffalo Chicken Wontons > join the conversation
Have you experienced the sheer joy of biting into a crisp, savory buffalo chicken wonton? What was the dipping sauce you used? Share your love of this easy air fryer recipe in the comments below.