Assemble homemade buttermilk ranch dressing in just 5 minutes. This herby restaurant-style condiment is cool, creamy and delicious! Enjoy with fresh veggies, chicken wings, or a crisp garden salad.
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon freeze-dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- OPTIONAL: a few dashes Tabasco sauce
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sour cream, mayo and buttermilk.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar. Whisk to combine. If adding Tabasco sauce, go slow. Add just 1 or 2 drops at a time. Do a taste test after each addition.
- Sprinkle in the spices. Stir to incorporate.
- Transfer the ranch dressing to a jar, cruet, or salad dressing container. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or overnight. The mixture will thicken as it chills.
KITCHEN SMARTS: Dried herbs in homemade ranch dressing need time to rehydrate and bloom. The overall the flavor needs time to develop. This requires an hour of refrigeration before serving.
HOW TO INCREASE TANGY FLAVOR IN RANCH DRESSING? There are several ways to increase the tang. Add a bit more sour cream, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, or a few drops of Tabasco sauce.
CAN FRESH HERBS BE USED IN THIS RECIPE? Absolutely! If you have fresh herbs in your garden, substitute fresh herbs for dried.
HOW TO SUBSTITUTE FRESH HERBS FOR DRIED: The general rule for swapping fresh herbs for dried is upping the measurement by 1/3. Example: for 1 teaspoon dried dill weed, substitute 1 tablespoon freshly-chopped dill.
HOW LONG DOES HOMEMADE RANCH DRESSING LAST? When stored in a well-sealed container and refrigerated, buttermilk ranch dressing made with dried herbs can last up to 1 week. But expiration dates for the fresh ingredients are also a factor: buttermilk, sour cream, and mayo.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Category: Condiments
- Method: Mixing Bowl
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Ranch Dressing, Buttermilk Ranch Dressing