Baking up a batch of scrumptious carrot cake scones is the perfect way to welcome spring! If you love carrot cake, you’re going to absolutely love this carrot cake scone recipe. These delightful scones are frosted with a super yummy cream cheese frosting. These scones are simple and easy to make! They’re perfect for breakfast, brunch, tea time, and dessert.
INGREDIENTS FOR CARROT CAKE SCONES
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, grated
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/3 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (plus a second egg for brushing)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (plus 1 more tablespoon of cream for brushing)
INGREDIENTS FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 + 1/4 cup powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
DIRECTIONS FOR CARROT CAKE SCONES
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Use a whisk to combine these ingredients. Add in the grated butter. With clean hands, toss to coat. Add in the grated carrot, shredded coconut, and walnuts. Stir to incorporate.
- Add in one egg, vanilla extract and the heavy cream. Stir and fold the dough until it’s just moistened. Turn the dough onto a heavily floured surface. With well-floured hands, knead the dough for one minute (about 8-10 times). Pat down the dough and shape it into an 8-inch circle.
- With a bench scraper or a sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 equal-sized wedges. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Place the scones on the baking tray, 1-1/2 inches apart.
- In a small bowl, whisk together one large egg and one tablespoon of heavy cream. Brush egg wash on the tops and sides of each scone.
- Bake the carrot cake scones for 12-15 minutes in a 425 degree oven until they’re golden brown.
- Transfer the scones to a cooling rack. Drizzle the scones with yummy cream cheese frosting. Generously sprinkle some chopped walnuts on top! Mmm…
DIRECTIONS FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip together the cream cheese and softened butter. Add in the vanilla and powdered sugar. Starting on a low setting and gradually increasing the speed, whip your cream cheese frosting until it’s beautifully smooth.
- Use a teaspoon to drizzle frosting onto the scones, or transfer the icing to a zip-top bag and snip off one corner. Squeeze the zip-top bag to pipe icing onto your scones in a creative way!
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch, Snack, Tea Time, Dessert
- Method: OVen
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: carrot cake scones, carrot cake scone recipe