This creamy (vegan) cauliflower leek soup is healthy, savory and luxurious. It’s garnished with swirls of olive oil and a sprinkling of fresh thyme. Serve with rustic artisan bread or homemade croutons.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cored and broken into 1-inch florets
- 2 leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 3 whole cloves garlic, husks removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for garnishing
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- FOR SERVING: Rustic artisan bread or croutons
RECIPE PREP: Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a reusable silicone mat.
- Arrange cauliflower, leeks and garlic cloves in a single layer on the prepared pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Roast 25 minutes, or until the cauliflower is just beginning to turn golden brown. Remove tray from oven.
- Transfer oven-roasted veggies to a large Dutch oven. Add vegetable stock, coconut cream, freshly-minced thyme, and nutritional yeast. Bring soup to a boil. Cook until the cauliflower florets are super tender and begin to fall apart.
- With an immersion blender, puree cauliflower leek soup until smooth. (If no immersion blender, use a high-speed countertop blender.) Once mixture is velvety smooth, cook 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat, or until the soup is warm and cozy.
- Season with salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste. Drizzle the surface of the creamy cauliflower leek soup with a swirl olive oil. Add a sprinkling of fresh thyme. Serve with croutons or rustic artisan bread.
HOW TO PREP LEEKS FOR THIS SOUP: Leeks tend to be a bit sandy. To clean them well, remove the green tops and the outermost layer. Cut leeks directly down the center, keeping the root intact. Rinse the cut side under cold running water. Fan out the layers so you can remove the dirt from between them. Pat leeks dry between paper towels. Slice into 1/2-inch pieces.
HOW TO STORE CAULIFLOWER LEEK SOUP: Transfer cooled soup to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Rewarm soup on stovetop. Add more vegetable stock, as needed.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Cauliflower Leek Soup, Cauliflower Soup, Cream of Cauliflower Soup, Roasted Cauliflower Soup, Leek Soup