This healthy chewy granola bar recipe is packed with delightful homemade goodness! It’s so wonderful to know exactly what ingredients go into the granola bars you’re eating and serving to your family. You’ll love that this wholesome no-bake recipe is quick and easy to make from scratch. So let’s get started right now. I’ll show you how to whip up a small batch of these flavorful homemade granola bars.
Ingredients for Chewy Granola Bar Recipe
These are all the ingredients you’ll need to make yummy no-bake granola bars: quick cook oats (uncooked), creamy peanut butter, organic honey, pure vanilla extract, a pinch of salt, mini chocolate chips, peanut butter/chocolate candies, and slightly crushed roasted and salted mixed nuts. That’s it! But don’t be afraid to get creative and change things up! Chopped up pieces of dried fruit like apricots or cranberries are super yummy in granola bars. You can also use a different type of nut butter – like almond butter. Instead of chocolate chips and candies, you can use peanut butter baking chips and unsweetened coconut flakes. When making homemade granola bars picking and choosing different ingredients is half the fun!
How to Make Homemade Granola Bars
To make homemade granola bars, pull out a square 8-inch pan and line it with an oversized piece of parchment paper. Set it aside. In a large mixing bowl, add the oats, creamy peanut butter, honey, vanilla, a pinch of salt and the crushed nuts. Mix everything together with a rubber spatula. After all of these ingredients are fully combined, add in the mini chocolate chips and the peanut butter/chocolate candy pieces. Fold and press them into the dense mixture. Feel free to use your clean and ever so slightly water-dampened hands to do this. If needed, add another drizzle or two of honey to make sure everything sticks together well.
Chewy Granola Bar Recipe
Transfer the chewy granola bar mixture into the square pan. Spread out the mixture so that it fills up the pan in one even layer. Place a piece of waxed paper on top of the no-bake granola bars. With your clean hands, press, press, press down on the mixture so it’s nicely compacted and lies firmly in place. If you happen to have a double-sided pastry roller, the smaller side does a great job of both compressing and evening things up.
Easy Chewy Granola Bar Recipe
Remove the waxed paper from the top and cover the square pan with plastic wrap. Stick the pan of homemade granola bars into the freezer. Allow it to stay there and harden up for 45-60 minutes.
Yummy Granola Bars Recipe
Remove the pan from the freezer. Using the oversized edges of the parchment paper like handles, pull the solid piece of homemade granola bars out of the pan. Transfer it to a cutting board. With a large sturdy knife, press down slowly and evenly, carefully slicing the piece into 12 equal-sized granola bars.
Another Great Option: Granola Bar Bites
Because these soft chewy granola bars are not stiff like their store-bought siblings, I recommend further slicing each granola bar in half to make them easier to handle. If you choose this option you’ll be creating super cute granola bar bites! Wrap each granola bar (or set of two granola bar bites) separately in parchment paper or waxed paper and secure with a piece of tape.
How to Store Homemade Granola Bars
Place all of the individually wrapped chewy granola bars into a sturdy zip-top freezer bag. Refrigerate your entire batch until serving time. These yummy no-bake granola bars freeze well too! I pinch myself for not having doubled the recipe. Yesterday afternoon my entire batch of homemade granola bars were quickly snapped up by members of my family who stopped by to visit. Not a single one was left!
Kitchen Tools for Making Homemade Granola Bars
Below are the kitchen tools I used to make this quick and simple granola bar recipe! I absolutely love my versatile glass batter bowl, my square USA cake pan, and my set of tiered cooling racks. My double-sided pastry roller came in really handy when compacting my homemade granola bars inside the pan and evening everything out.
Chewy Granola Bar Recipe
Yield 12 granola bars
This healthy chewy granola bar recipe is packed with delightful homemade goodness! You'll love that this wholesome no-bake recipe is quick and easy to make from scratch. You can get creative with the mix-ins: substitute almond butter for peanut butter, peanut butter chips for the candy pieces, or dried fruit instead of nuts. This yummy recipe yields 12 individual granola bars or 24 square granola bites!
- 3 + 1/4 cups quick-cook oats, uncooked
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup organic honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup roasted & salted mixed nuts, lightly crushed
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut-butter/chocolate candy pieces
- Pull out a large mixing bowl. Add the oats, peanut butter, honey, vanilla, pinch of salt, and crushed nuts to the bowl. Mix the ingredients together with a sturdy rubber spatula until everything is fully combined. Add the mini chocolate chips and candy pieces to the bowl. Mix again, but this time use your clean hands that have been very slightly dampened with water. If needed, add a touch more honey to the mixture so that everything sticks together as one cohesive unit.
- Pull out an 8x8-inch pan. Line it with an oversized piece of parchment paper. Transfer the granola bar mixture to the pan. With clean hands, spread it into an even layer within the pan. Lay a piece of waxed paper or parchment paper over the homemade granola bar mixture. Press, press, press it down to fully compact it. If you have a small double-sided rolling pin, use the narrower side to roll the granola into place.
- Remove the waxed paper from the top and cover the square pan with plastic wrap. Stick the pan into the freezer for 45-60 minutes so that the granola bar square hardens. When it's nice and cold it will be easy to slice.
- Remove the pan from the freezer. Using the oversized parchment paper as handles, remove the large granola bar from the pan. Transfer it to a cutting board. With a heavy-duty kitchen knife, slice the solid piece into 12 evenly-sized granola bars. As chewy no-bake granola bars are much softer and more pliable than their hardened store-bought siblings, you may wish to further slice each granola bar in half for easier handling. I call these sweet little squares granola bites!
- Individually wrap your homemade granola bars (or granola bites) in waxed paper or parchment paper. Secure the paper with a piece of tape. Place all of the wrapped granola bars into a zip-top freezer bag. Store the bars in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. These chewy granola bars also freeze very well!
CHEWY GRANOLA BAR RECIPE > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this healthy and delicious CHEWY GRANOLA BAR RECIPE for later! Pin it to Pinterest.
ANOTHER HEALTHY RECIPE
If you enjoyed this healthy granola bar recipe, you’ll also love this yummy lemon whip fruit dip!
GET MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION HERE >> FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST
CHEWY GRANOLA BAR RECIPE > JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
Do you love eating or making homemade granola bars? Getting creative, what type of mix-ins would you include in your recipe? Peanut butter chips, M&Ms, dried fruit, shredded coconut, or something else? What do you think about this homemade granola bar recipe? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!