These chewy granola bars are wholesome and fun to make! An ideal snack for back-to-school lunches, road trips, airplane travel, and sporting events, they’re also a delicious grab-and-go breakfast.
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt*
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats (not old fashioned)
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt for garnishing, as desired
*NOTE: If the bars will not be garnished with flaky sea salt, increase the salt content in the granola bar mixture to 1/4 teaspoon, or adjust this seasoning to taste. (Some recipes call for 1/2 teaspoon salt). Salt brings out the flavor of the other ingredients.
RECIPE PREP: Line a 9 x 9 pan with 2 oversized pieces of parchment paper that extend over the sides of the pan. Later these “handles” will be used to easily lift and remove the slab of granola bars from the pan.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine peanut butter, honey, brown sugar, butter, and salt. Cook until smooth, stirring constantly. Add oats and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- With a rubber spatula, transfer the hot mixture to prepared pan. Spread it into an even layer. With the spatula, press down firmly to make it compact. This removes any air pockets that could prevent the mixture from sticking together.
- Evenly sprinkle chocolate chips over the hot layer. With the back of a spoon or a clean spatula, press the chips into the mixture. Stick the pan in the fridge to cool and set (allow 2 to 3 hours).
- Once mixture is firmly set, use parchment paper “handles” to lift slab up from the pan. Transfer it to a wooden board. With a long sharp knife, slice the slab into strips, squares or mini bites. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE NUT FREE: Replace the peanut butter with sunflower butter. Replace peanut butter with sunflower butter. Another delicious option is Biscoff Cookie Butter. While this is a nut-free product, it might packaged in a facility that processes other products with nuts. Be sure to read the label.
HOW TO STORE HOMEMADE GRANOLA BARS: Arrange the bars in a flat layer inside an air-tight container or zip-top bag. They’re sticky and soft. Keep them stored in the fridge. More options: individually wrap pieces in plastic wrap or parchment paper secured with tape. If stacking the pieces, separate bars with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chewy Granola Bar Recipe, Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars, Homemade Chewy Granola Bars