This healthy chewy granola bar recipe is packed with delightful homemade goodness! You’ll love that this wholesome no-bake recipe is quick and easy to make from scratch. You can get creative with the mix-ins: substitute almond butter for peanut butter, peanut butter chips for the candy pieces, or dried fruit instead of nuts. This yummy recipe yields 12 individual granola bars or 24 square granola bites!
- 3 + 1/4 cups quick-cook oats, uncooked
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup organic honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup roasted & salted mixed nuts, lightly crushed
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut-butter/chocolate candy pieces
- Pull out a large mixing bowl. Add the oats, peanut butter, honey, vanilla, pinch of salt, and crushed nuts to the bowl. Mix the ingredients together with a sturdy rubber spatula until everything is fully combined. Add the mini chocolate chips and candy pieces to the bowl. Mix again, but this time use your clean hands that have been very slightly dampened with water. If needed, add a touch more honey to the mixture so that everything sticks together as one cohesive unit.
- Pull out an 8×8-inch pan. Line it with an oversized piece of parchment paper. Transfer the granola bar mixture to the pan. With clean hands, spread it into an even layer within the pan. Lay a piece of waxed paper or parchment paper over the homemade granola bar mixture. Press, press, press it down to fully compact it. If you have a small double-sided rolling pin, use the narrower side to roll the granola into place.
- Remove the waxed paper from the top and cover the square pan with plastic wrap. Stick the pan into the freezer for 45-60 minutes so that the granola bar square hardens. When it’s nice and cold it will be easy to slice.
- Remove the pan from the freezer. Using the oversized parchment paper as handles, remove the large granola bar from the pan. Transfer it to a cutting board. With a heavy-duty kitchen knife, slice the solid piece into 12 evenly-sized granola bars. As chewy no-bake granola bars are much softer and more pliable than their hardened store-bought siblings, you may wish to further slice each granola bar in half for easier handling. I call these sweet little squares granola bites!
- Individually wrap your homemade granola bars (or granola bites) in waxed paper or parchment paper. Secure the paper with a piece of tape. Place all of the wrapped granola bars into a zip-top freezer bag. Store the bars in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. These chewy granola bars also freeze very well!
- Category: Snack
- Method: No-bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chewy granola bars, granola bars, granola bar recipe