This easy lemon chicken piccata is tender, tangy and deeply savory. Assemble this easy recipe in 30 minutes. It’s an ideal one-pot meal for busy families.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (thin-sliced or chicken cutlets)
- 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 4–5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 jar (6 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 2-3 lemons)
- 1 cup chardonnay wine
- 3/4 cup chicken broth or chicken stock
- 2 1/2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves (no stems), firmly packed
- Optional garnish: fresh Italian parsley
RECIPE PREP: Butterfly chicken breasts, cut them in half, and pound them to a 1/4-inch thickness. If using chicken cutlets, cut them in half horizontally.
- Add flour to a shallow bowl. Season well with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in seasoned flour, shaking off excess. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, add the chicken. Leave spaces between the pieces. Work in batches, adding more olive oil if needed. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until a meat thermometer reads 165°. Transfer to a tray.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil to the pan. Place lemon slices in the skillet. Cook for for 20 seconds on each side. Remove slices from the pan. Add cherry tomatoes to the skillet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until a few of the tomatoes begin to pop. Remove from pan. Add garlic and artichokes to the skillet. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add wine to the skillet and stir. With a wooden spatula, scrape brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 3 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Pour in broth and lemon juice. Add spinach, capers, and 2 tablespoons butter. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce slightly thickens. Taste. Adjust seasonings as desired.
- Return chicken, tomatoes and lemon slices to the skillet. Spoon sauce over the chicken piccata. Garnish with parsley.
How to make this recipe faster: Buy “thinly-sliced” boneless, skinless chicken breasts. They’re about 1/4-inch thick, so you won’t need to pound them. You can also use chicken cutlets and slice them horizontally.
How to add more texture: For an irresistible crispy-brown crust, add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese or Panko breadcrumbs to the seasoned flour.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Easy Chicken Piccata, Piccata Milanese, Chicken Milanese