Crispy, crunchy chicken taquitos are a guaranteed crowd pleaser! Serve rolled tacos as appetizers, or in sets of 3 for a complete meal. These little tacos are a great make-ahead recipe, and the ideal way to use leftover rotisserie chicken. Make them in 25 minutes!
- 2 packed cups thinly-shredded chicken breast
- 1/4 cup onion (yellow or white), diced
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
- 2–4 Serrano chiles, as desired
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil + more for frying
KID-FRIENDLY RECIPE: When making taquitos for children, omit Serrano peppers. Instead, add 1/4 cup diced celery to the onions and garlic. Sauté them together. Later, when adding shredded chicken to the pan, sprinkle in 1 teaspoon dried oregano that’s been crumbled between your fingers.
- Remove stems from Serrano peppers. Slice them in half. The veins and seeds is where the primary heat of a chile resides. Remove the veins and seeds to keep this recipe with just a hint of heat. Dice the chiles.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add diced onion, minced garlic and peppers to the pan. Sauté onion, garlic and Serrano chiles until tender. Add chicken to the pan. Drizzle water or chicken broth over filling to keep things moist. Toss chicken with sautéd ingredients until nice and warm. Add more liquid as needed for hydration. But the filling for chicken taquitos should be tender, not wet or dry. Season the filling with salt and pepper to taste. That’s all you need! If you’d like a little more Mexican flavor, sprinkle in some ground cumin and dried oregano.
- Wet a clean kitchen towel. Squeeze out the water. Lay a small stack of corn tortillas in the middle of the damp towel and wrap them. Microwave on high for up to 2 minutes until tortillas are warm, soft and flexible, but not damp. This will allow the tortillas to be tightly rolled without tearing.
- Place 2 tablespoons of chicken filling at the end of the corn tortilla. Roll the tortilla tightly and secure the little taco with a wooden toothpick. As you work, transfer rolled tacos to a platter.
- Add 1 inch cooking oil to a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium to medium-high heat. If using a kitchen thermometer, the oil should be heated to 350°F. Fry taquitos in batches of 3. After 1 minute, flip tacos over with a pair of tongs. Continue cooking another 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until crisp and golden. Transfer fried chicken tacos to a paper towel-lined plate. Remove and discard toothpicks.
- Immediately garnish taquitos as desired. Serve and enjoy while crispy and hot!
- HOW TO HANDLE CHILE PEPPERS: Serrano chiles have oil that can irritate and burn skin and eyes for several hours. When handling chiles, use disposable kitchen gloves or two plastic produce bags. Afterward, wash your hands with warm water. Place cutting board and knife in the dishwasher to prevent transfer of oil to other surfaces. If eyes become irritated, flush them with cool water.
- BAKED TAQUITOS: Preheat oven to 425°F. Prep a baking tray with cooking spray. Place rolled tacos seam side down on the tray. Spray taquitos with cooking oil. Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- AIR FRYER TAQUITOS: This is an ideal air fryer recipe! Spray air fryer basket and chicken taquitos with cooking oil. Arrange tacos in a single layer. Air fry at 400°F for about 6-8 minutes until golden and crispy.
- MAKE-AHEAD TAQUITOS: This is the perfect make-ahead recipe! Assemble and cook the rolled tacos per recipe instructions. Place taquitos on a baking tray lined with a silicone baking mat. Freeze until solid. Transfer chicken taquitos to a large zip-top freezer bag. Remove excess air. Seal tightly. Freeze for up to 3 weeks.
- Category: Dinner, Appetizers
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Chicken Taquitos, Homemade Taquitos, Baked Taquitos