Mexican chicken tostadas are festive, delicious and super easy to make! With a few little shortcuts you can get this meal on the table in no time flat. What’s more, this 15-minute tostada recipe is very versatile. Each person can select their own toppings and ingredient quantities to make a chicken tostada that’s uniquely theirs.
About This Quick Easy Chicken Tostada Recipe
Before we begin, let me say this: Nothing compares to homemade Mexican food like our grandmothers make after a full day of cooking in the kitchen. However, most especially during the busy work week, none of us have time to stand in the kitchen and cook up a whole spread of food from scratch. What we need most is a set of easy recipes that are healthy, filling and come together very quickly. These chicken tostadas are one of those recipes!
Tostada Rounds for Chicken Tostadas (Tostadas de Pollo)
All Mexican tostadas de pollo begin with a crispy corn tortilla base. Today we’ll be using pre-made corn tostada shells. In large grocery stores they’re usually found in one of three areas: in the Hispanic section, where the stacks of corn and flour tortillas are, or in the bread aisle. They’re usually vertically stacked, about 28 to a pack, and presented in a partially-clear long plastic sleeve.
Ingredients for Chicken Tostadas
The ingredient list for chicken tostadas can be long or short, depending on the specific toppings you enjoy eating or have on hand in the fridge. If you’ve been on the lookout for leftover rotisserie chicken recipes, these chicken tostadas fit the bill! Save this recipe by pinning one of the images here to Pinterest.
Ingredient List for Tostada Recipe
Here’s a basic ingredient list for this tostada recipe: Pre-made corn tostada rounds, a can of no-lard or vegetarian refried beans, pre-shredded cheddar cheese, a rotisserie chicken, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, iceburg lettuce, sour cream packaged in an easy squeeze tube, grape tomatoes, a can of pre-sliced olives, and cilantro leaves. Optional toppings include sliced jalapenos, hot sauce and guacamole.
How to Make Tostadas
This is how to make tostadas: begin by adjusting your oven rack to the 2nd position and turning on the broiler. Spread a layer of warm refried beans over the corn tortilla. Next sprinkle a layer of cheese directly over the beans. Transfer the tostadas to a cookie sheet. Place the tostadas in the oven very briefly, just until the cheese has melted. Keep watch to make sure the tostada shells aren’t getting scorched.
Assemble Your Mexican Tostadas
In a medium bowl, add the warm shredded chicken. Squeeze a bit of fresh or bottled lime over the chicken. Add the olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss the chicken to mix everything together. Now comes the fun part! It’s time to assemble your delicious Mexican tostadas with a variety of fresh ingredients that are healthy and beautiful. There’s no right or wrong way to top a tostada! My personal preferences include a drizzle of sour cream, a sprinkling of lettuce, plenty of bright red tomatoes, plus a few olives and jalapenos. What are your favorite toppings for chicken tostadas?
Traditional Condiments for Mexican Tostadas
Throughout Mexico standard condiments for tacos and tostadas include a variety of freshly-made salsas, slices of lime, bottled hot sauces, and pico de gallo. Another staple on Mexican tables is a simple yet inviting dish of radishes, limes and sea salt. If you think you don’t like radishes, then you haven’t tried eating them the traditional Mexican way! Squeeze lime juice over a slice of radish, then sprinkle it with a pinch of salt. Now go ahead and take a bite. Mmmmm…this is so darn yummy!
Kitchen Tools for Making Chicken Tostadas
I love that very few kitchen tools are needed to make this easy 15-minute recipe. This also means less kitchen clean-up, which I’ll take any day! Basically just a can opener, cutting board, kitchen knife and baking tray will help you get this tostada recipe made and done.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a tostada? A tostada is a crispy deep-fried corn tortilla topped with beans and cheese in addition to a variety of other toppings such as meat, cilantro, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole, olives, jalapenos, and more.
What to do with leftover rotisserie chicken? When it comes to leftover rotisserie chicken recipes, these yummy chicken tostadas are a fantastic option!
How to make tostada shells? A traditional tostada shell is a corn tortilla fried in oil. Here are the instructions for making these at home:
- Line a baking tray with paper towels, then put it aside.
- Add 1/4-inch of cooking oil in a skillet.
- Heat the oil over medium heat
- Submerge the tortilla in the hot, bubbling oil.
- Allow the tortilla to cook for about 30 seconds or until stiff and lightly browned.
- With a pair of cooking tongs, lift the tortilla out of the oil.
- Transfer the tostada shell to the lined baking tray and allow it to cool.
What do you put on a tostada? Mexican tostadas are a super versatile! You can put a whole variety of toppings on a crispy, flat tortilla shell. Here are some great ingredient ideas:
- Meat: chicken, shredded beef, ground beef, chorizo
- Refried beans
- Shredded lettuce: (iceburg or romaine), or shredded cabbage and carrots
- Diced tomatoes: grape tomatoes or Roma tomatoes
- Sliced olives: black olives or green olives
- Cilantro leaves
- Green onions or red onions
- Shredded cheese
- Jalapenos or fired-roasted diced green chilies
- Salsa or hot sauce
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream
MEXICAN TOSTADAS RECIPE > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this delicious recipe for Mexican tostadas. Pin it to Pinterest!
MORE MEXICAN RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
MEXICAN CHICKEN AND RICE is an essential Mexican recipe for busy families. Double this delicious recipe on a Sunday evening and use the leftovers for meal prepping during the week.
AUTHENTIC MEXICAN GUACAMOLE is a very versatile Mexican recipe! Use it as a quick healthy snack, as a fabulous party appetizer, or as a delicious topping for your favorite Mexican recipes.
Step out of the kitchen this summer and enjoy the fabulous weather with your family and friends. This quick easy CHEESEY CAPRESE QUESO DIP will become your favorite appetizer recipe this season! It’s perfect for casual family gatherings and festive backyard parties.
Mexican Chicken Tostadas (15-Minute Recipe)
Yield 12 tostadas
These Mexican chicken tostadas are super delicious and a real time saver! This simple lunch or dinner entree is easy to put together in 15 minutes. Whether serving a meal to picky eaters, or preparing an easy menu to feed a crowd, this tostada recipe is a perfect choice. Each person can assemble their own tostada with their favorite toppings! Add these yummy Mexican tostadas to your weekly meal plan rotation.
- 1 rotisserie chicken, warm and shredded
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Store-bought crispy tostada shells
- 1 16-ounce can refried beans, warmed
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or Mexican crema)
- 3 cups shredded iceburg lettuce
- 10-ounces grape tomatoes, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 2.25-ounce can of sliced black olives
- Optional accompaniments: hot sauce, lime slices, sliced radishes, sea salt
- Adjust your oven rack to the second notched position from the top (do not use the first position up close to the broiler or your tostada shells will singe with the high heat). Turn on the broiler function.
- Spread a thin layer of beans over the crispy tortilla round. Sprinkle a light layer of cheese over the beans. Transfer the tostadas to a baking tray. Put the tray in the oven for about 30-90 seconds, or until the cheese has melted. Keep a close eye on the tostada edges to make sure they don't burn.
- Add shredded chicken over the melted cheese.
- Assemble the tostadas with a variety of your favorite toppings.
- If desired, serve with hot sauce and a condiment tray of radishes, lime slices and sea salt.
Courses Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Party
MEXICAN TOSTADAS > JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
What do you think about this easy recipe for chicken tostadas? Do you think they’d be a fun twist for Taco Tuesday? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. I invite you to join the conversation on this 15-minute chicken tostada recipe!