This savory chile relleno casserole is a family favorite! An easy make-breakfast casserole, it’s the ideal choice for Sunday brunch, mid-week meals, and holiday gatherings. Served with warm tortillas and bacon or sausage, it’s easy to assemble breakfast tacos!
- 2 whole poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded & diced (OR 2 cans fire-roasted diced green chiles, one 4 oz can plus one 7 oz can, drained)
- 1/3 cup white onion, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil (for sautéing)
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, lightly packed
- 3/4 cup shredded medium cheddar cheese, lightly packed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (+ more for greasing baking dish)
- Adjust oven rack to the center position. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- With butter, grease the bottom an 8 x 8 baking dish and 2/3 up the sides. Don’t butter all the way up the sides of the dish or there will be burnt residue. I like my casseroles looking nice and pretty!
- If doubling this recipe, use a 9 x 13 baker.
CHILE RELLENO CASSEROLE RECIPE
- Add olive oil to a small skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add onions to the pan with a pinch of salt and a few twists of freshly-ground pepper. While cooking stir frequently. Sauté until tender and fragrant, and beginning to caramelize. Remove from heat.
- Crack the eggs into a batter bowl. Beat the eggs well. Add flour, baking powder, salt and paprika to the bowl. Whisk until smooth with no lumps. Add onion, cottage cheese, and melted butter. Mix briefly.
- Add diced poblano chiles and shredded cheeses to the bowl. With a rubber spatula, mix until well incorporated.
- Pour egg mixture into greased baking dish. Bake the breakfast casserole uncovered for 45-48 minutes, or until it’s no longer jiggly. It should be golden blonde on the top and edges, and well set in the middle. Cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing into squares. As this green chili casserole sheds heat, it’ll continue to firm up.
- 3 great reasons why you should always grate your own cheese! Pre-shredded cheese is covered in a coating to keep it from clumping together. Because it doesn’t melt as smoothly as hand grated, breakfast casseroles can end up oily on the top and sides. Here are
- GREAT ADD-INS FOR CHILE RELLENO CASSEROLE: Chopped crispy bacon, cooked breakfast sausage, red bell peppers and mushrooms.
- OVERNIGHT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE: Assemble the chile relleno casserole. But instead of baking it, cover the dish tightly with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- MAKE-AHEAD BREAKFAST CASSEROLE: This green chili egg casserole is and ideal make-ahead recipe. After it cools, cover it tightly with foil and refrigerate. Then reheat the whole dish, or rewarm individual portions.
- HOW LONG CAN EGG CASSEROLE SIT OUT? For food safety, follow these important FDA guidelines.
- HOW LONG CAN YOU KEEP BREAKFAST CASSEROLE IN THE FRIDGE? When made with fresh ingredients and stored in an air-tight container, leftovers can stay fresh in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- CAN YOU FREEZE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE? Yes. It freezes very well. After it has completely cooled, transfer this breakfast bake to an air-tight container or a gallon-size freezer bag. Store it flat in the freezer. For the best taste and texture rewarm and enjoy within 2 to 3 weeks.
- MORE INFO ABOUT THIS RECIPE: Further tips are included in the body of the post, along with helpful step-by-step recipe images.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: Chile Relleno Casserole, Breakfast Casserole, Breakfast Bake