Healthy Chinese chicken salad is a joy to make! Prep it in advance for a DIY salad kit! The flavorful homemade Asian dressing takes this restaurant recipe to the next level!
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken breast, shredded
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 head iceburg lettuce, shredded
- 1 rounded cup of red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup of carrots (about 2 carrots), julienned or shredded
- 1/2 bunch of green onions, thinly sliced
- 2–3 tablespoons cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Asian salad dressing, using this homemade recipe
- Garnishes: sesame seeds, crushed red pepper flakes (optional), sliced or slivered almonds, cashew halves, crispy wonton strips
- Start by preparing the homemade Asian salad dressing so the flavors have a chance to meld together nicely.
- After shredding the chicken breast, add it to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle half of the salad dressing directly on top of the chicken. With kitchen tongs, mix these ingredients together. Let the chicken sit and soak in all of that goodness while you finish prepping the remainder of the recipe.
- Add the shredded romaine lettuce, iceburg lettuce, carrots and red cabbage to the mixing bowl. Add in the sliced green onions and chopped cilantro leaves. With tongs, toss the ingredients until well combined.
- Generously garnish your Chinese chicken salad with sesame seeds, dried chili flakes, almonds, cashew halves and wonton strips. To keep your salad nice and crisp, do not add the remainder of the Asian dressing until serving time.
- Place the salad dressing carafe with the remainder of the Asian dressing beside the serving bowl. As they serve themselves, family and guests can drizzle the dressing on top. Enjoy!
EXPERT TIPS FOR CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD
- MORE IDEAS FOR FLAVORFUL CHICKEN SALAD ADD-INS: Mandarin orange slices, water chestnuts, baby corn, julienned orange or red bell pepper, snow peas, and sunflower seeds.
- HOW TO MAKE MEAL PREP EASY: Buy prepared items at the market to include a store-bought rotisserie chicken, ready-to-serve Romaine lettuce, and packets of pre-shredded carrots and pre-shredded red cabbage.
- ABOUT HOMEMADE ASIAN SALAD DRESSING: The dressing can be prepared in advance, with the exception of including garlic and ginger which should always be added fresh! When refrigerating dressing with ginger and garlic, it will only stay fresh about 2-3 days. Without these 2 ingredients it will last much longer!
- DIY SALAD KIT: This is the perfect make-ahead salad kit for parties, potlucks, and family gatherings. Simply prep the items individually in zip-top bags, and then toss everything together just before serving.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Tossing
- Cuisine: Western Chinese
Keywords: Chinese chicken salad, chicken salad, chicken salad recipe