These fluffy, tender, chocolate chip cupcakes are easy to make and so delicious. Enjoy them for birthdays, graduations and parties year round. Their stunning presentation makes them extra special.
Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (preferably clear, not amber)
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (preferably clear, not amber)
CHOCOLATE CHIP CUPCAKES
RECIPE PREP: Adjust oven rack to the center position. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-well cupcake tin with paper liners. Or spray the wells of the pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, milk, eggs and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Use a rubber spatula to stir the mixture together. A few clumps are okay. Don’t overmix. Add 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips. Stir until just combined.
- With a 1/4 measuring cup or metal scoop, evenly divide batter between the wells of the cupcake pan filling each 2/3 full. Bake 14 to 16 minutes, or until the tops of the cupcakes are a light golden blonde and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a metal rack. Let them cool completely to room temperature.
- Scoop out the center of each cupcake with a small metal scoop (or tomato corer or paring knife). Fill with 1/2 teaspoon mini chocolate chips. Return scooped-out piece of cake back on top, covering the chocolate. Once frosted, cutouts will not be visible.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat the softened butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Drape a lint-free kitchen towel over the top of the machine to protect your countertop from puffs of powdered sugar. A little at a time, slowly add the powered sugar to the bowl. Once sugar is fully incorporated, add in vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag (or to a large zip-top bag with a corner snipped) fitted with your favorite metal tip. Pipe icing onto the cupcakes in swirls, leaving a 1/2-inch unfrosted border (bakery style) so a bit of the vanilla cake is visible. Sprinkle the frosting with mini chocolate chips.
FOR FLUFFY TENDER CUPCAKES: Don’t overmix the batter. As the batter is mixed, gluten starts developing from proteins in the the hydrated flour. The more it’s mixed, the more gluten is developed, and the more air bubbles get crushed in the process. We depend on air bubbles to help the batter rise in the oven so the cupcakes are tender and fluffy. Overmixed batter produces dense chocolate chip cupcakes with a coarse crumb.
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chocolate Chip Cupcakes, Chocolate Chip Cupcake Recipe, Chocolate Chip Cupcake