These festive chocolate chip M&M cookies could also be called triple chocolate cookies. Packed with cocoa, mini chocolate chips and regular-size M&M candies, these yummy M&M cookies will satisfy the most intense chocolate craving!
ABOUT THIS RECIPE FOR CHOCOLATE CHIP M&M COOKIES
This delicious recipe for chocolate chip M&M cookies is a fabulous new spin on the standard M&M cookie recipe. Perfect any time of the year, these M and M cookies are also great for holiday baking and gift giving.
INGREDIENTS FOR M&M COOKIES
These are the ingredients for making chocolate chip M&M cookies:
- Salted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Light-brown sugar
- Pure vanilla extract
- Large eggs
- Natural cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Sea salt
- All-purpose flour
- Regular-size M&Ms
- Mini chocolate morsels
HOW DO YOU MAKE HOMEMADE M&M COOKIES?
Here’s how to make homemade M&M cookies step by step:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, light-brown sugar and vanilla.
- Add the eggs and mix briefly.
- Add salt, baking soda, cornstarch, and natural cocoa powder.
- Mix until well blended.
- Measure the flour and add it to the bowl.
- Mix until fully incorporated.
HOW TO BAKE M AND M COOKIES
Baking up a delicious batch of M&M cookies is quick and easy!
- With a spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Gently fold in M&Ms and mini chocolate morsels.
- Scoop the cookie dough onto cookie sheets.
- Bake your M&M cookies.
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking tray for 5 minutes.
- With a spatula, transfer cookies to a cooling rack.
TIPS FOR PERFECT M&M COOKIES
- Use good-quality salted butter: Not all butter is created equal! The store brand will be cheaper, but it will have a higher concentration of water. Instead, we want a higher butterfat content.
- Butter temperature: Use softened butter. When softening butter in the microwave, the exterior often becomes a bit melted. Melted butter will result in cookies that are flat. If at all possible, soften butter on your countertop.
- How to scoop cookie dough: I recommend a medium-sized cookie scoop to create evenly-sized chocolate chip M&M cookies. You can also usetwo teaspoons to lift and transfer the cookie dough to the cookie sheets. Either way works well!
- How long to bake chocolate chip M&M cookies: Bake your cookies for 8 minutes. They may seem slightly undercooked, but they’ll solidify as they cool. Your cookies will be the perfect texture: soft on top and in the middle, and slightly firm on the bottom.
- Hand place additional candies on top: As soon as M and M cookies come out of the oven, add additional candies to make them more festive!
CAN YOU FREEZE M&M COOKIES?
Rather than freezing baked cookies, it’s better to freeze the cookie dough instead. Here’s how to freeze the dough for M&M cookies:
- With a cookie scoop, form the dough into small balls/pucks.
- Place the drop cookies on a small baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Leave a bit of space around each ball so none of the pucks are touching.
- Put the tray of cookies into the freezer for 35 minutes or until frozen.
- Transfer pre-formed cookies to a freezer bag. Return them to the freezer.
- Frozen cookie dough will stay fresh for 3 months.
KITCHEN TOOLS FOR M&M COOKIE RECIPE
These are the recommended kitchen tools for making M&M cookies:
Chocolate chip M&M cookies are fun, festive and easy to make! Flaunting three different types of chocolate, they’re also called triple chocolate cookies.
- 2 sticks salted butter (1 cup), softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light-brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (pure Mexican vanilla preferred)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup natural cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups M&Ms (regular-size M&Ms)
- 1 10-ounce package of mini chocolate morsels (chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup M&Ms for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter, granulated sugar, light-brown sugar and vanilla. Add in eggs and mix until combined.
- Add in the salt, baking soda, cornstarch and cocoa powder. Mix until well blended. Add in the flour and mix again until it’s well incorporated. With a spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix briefly.
- Remove the mixing bowl from the stand mixer. Use a spatula to gently fold the M&Ms and mini chocolate chips into the cookie dough. Use a cookie scoop or two teaspoons to transfer small balls of cookie dough onto the baking trays.
- Bake the cookies for 8 minutes (but no longer than 10 minutes max!). The cookies will seem to be a bit undercooked but they’ll solidify when cooling. The cooled cookies will be soft on the top and middle, just slightly crisp on the bottom, and super yummy.
- As soon as the cookies are pulled out of the oven, garnish each one with several hand-placed M&Ms on top. Make them look festive, happy and gorgeous!
Keywords: chocolate chip M&M cookies, M&M cookies, M&M cookie recipe, chocolate chip cookies, M and M cookies, M and M cookie recipe
PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this M&M cookie recipe for later! PIN IT TO PINTEREST RIGHT NOW!
FAVORITE COOKIE RECIPES
If you love this M&M cookie recipe, you’ll also enjoy these other popular cookies:
- CLASSIC PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
- LINZER SUGAR COOKIES
- SALTED CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- BON APPETIT: EASY COOKIE RECIPES
- THE RECIPE CRITIC: CHEWY OATMEAL COOKIES
CHOCOLATE CHIP M&M COOKIES > JOIN THE CONVERSATION
What are your favorite cookies? Would you love to taste one of these yummy M&M cookies? Share your thoughts in the comments below!