Chocolate crinkle cookies are like fudgy moist brownies, crunchy around the edges and soft in the center. Rolled in powdered sugar, these Christmas cookies are super delicious and fun to make!
FOR COOKIE DOUGH
- 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa (Hershey’s Cocoa Special Dark)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
PREPARE THE COOKIE DOUGH
RECIPE PREP: Take out a sturdy wooden spoon. Pull out two bowls, one medium and one small.
- In the medium bowl, mix together cocoa powder, light-brown sugar, granulated sugar and oil. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla extract. Set bowl aside.
- In the small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually, adding 1/3 of the mixture at a time, incorporate dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until combined with no streaks of flour. But don’t over-mix! Scrape bottom and sides of the bowl as needed.
- Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- IMPORTANT: Cover bowl and refrigerate at least 4 hours, or overnight. For recipe success, the dough must be chilled all the way through.
BAKE CHOCOLATE CRINKLE COOKIES
- The cold dough will be thick and a little sticky. If the dough gets too hard to handle, put it in the freezer for 10 minutes. With a small metal scoop, portion dough into roughly-shaped 1-inch pucks.
- Drop each puck directly from the metal scoop into the granulated sugar. Roll to coat. This step makes the dough easier to handle and shape. With your fingertips, pat the puck into a ball. Work with 5 to 6 pucks at a time in the granulated sugar. Then roll the balls in the powdered sugar, coating generously.
- Place the coated balls on a prepared baking tray. Leave 2 1/2 inches of space between each cookie. Wipe your hands clean with a damp cloth, and continue. (Between batches, return the bowl of dough to the refrigerator to keep it chilled.)
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven. Allow the treats to cool on the baking tray for 1 minute. Transfer crackle cookies to a wire rack to finish cooling.
HOW TO STORE CRACKLE COOKIES: Store completely cooled cookies in a tightly-sealed container. In cool room temp, they’ll stay fresh on the counter for up to 5 days. Or freeze for up to 1 month.
EXPERT TIPS AND FAQ: There are several reasons crinkle cookies made with the same recipe can have a similar taste but a different look and texture. These baking tips can help you achieve crackle cookies that look like they were made in a bakery.
- MIXING TECHNIQUE FOR COOKIE DOUGH: Mix until just blended. How do you know when to stop? When there are no more streaks of flour in the mixing bowl and the dough looks uniform. Over-mixing is damaging. It adds air to the dough which can make crackle cookies rise and then fall. They’ll be crispy and flat instead of round and slightly puffy.
- USE FRESH BAKING POWDER: Stale or expired baking powder can make cookies dense and fall flat in the oven. An open can of baking powder should be replaced every 5 to 6 months.
- WHY DOES DOUGH FOR CRINKLE COOKIES NEED TO BE CHILLED? When making cookies, the temperature of the dough is important. For crackle cookies that are slightly puffy and hold their shape, the dough must be well chilled. Cold dough is also easier to work with.
- WHAT TO DO IF CRINKLES SPREAD TOO MUCH DURING BAKING: Put the next tray of uncooked balls in the freezer for 10 minutes before baking. When the dough is chilled it helps cookies spread less in the oven.
- MAKE AHEAD INSTRUCTIONS: Place uncoated, unbaked cookie balls on a parchment-lined baking tray leaving space between the pieces. Freeze 45 minutes or until solid. Transfer the hard balls to a zip-top freezer bag. Freeze up to 3 months. When ready to bake, thaw on the counter for 30 minutes. Roll in granulated sugar and powdered sugar. Bake for 12 minutes at 350°F.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes + 4 Hours Chill Time
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate crinkle cookies, crackle cookies, crinkles