These chocolate M&M cookies are packed with chocolaty goodness. Each chewy bite is filled with bits of candy. They’re super delicious!
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup M&M Minis (plus more for garnishing)
- Optional: Flaky sea salt (for garnishing)
RECIPE PREP: Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or reusable silicone baking mats. Put them aside.
- Add softened butter and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment. Cream them together until light and fluffy (about 1 minute).
- Add the egg and vanilla extract. Mix until combined. Add in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and sea salt. Mix until dry ingredients are fully incorporated and no large lumps remain.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer. Add chocolate chips and M&Ms. Fold them into the cookie dough with a rubber spatula.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. With a metal scoop (or 2 spoons) scoop rounded pucks of cookie dough directly onto the lined baking trays. Leave 2 to 3 inches between each piece. Chill cookie dough in the freezer for 15 minutes, or in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes, or just until the edges begin to set. It’s better to err with undercooking rather than overcooking. Once tray is removed from the oven, immediately tap it a few times on a firm surface. This will help the cookies sink so their middles can finish cooking while they rest.
- While the cookies are still warm, hand press additional M&Ms onto the tops (optional) and sprinkle with flaky salt. Let cookies cool completely before storing in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Let cookies cool completely before storing them in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
HOW TO SOFTEN BUTTER QUICKLY: Unwrap the butter. With a sharp knife, cut it into very small cubes. Let it sit on the countertop to soften. It’ll come to room temperature in about 15 minutes. Using softened butter is important so it can cream correctly with the sugar, forming tiny air pockets throughout. Those little air pockets are vital for fluffy cookies that will cook evenly in the oven.
WHY CHILLING COOKIE DOUGH IS IMPORTANT: Chilling cookie dough controls spread. As the dough chills, the fat in the butter solidifies. Cold fat takes longer to melt than room-temperature fat. The longer the butter remains solid, the less the cookies will spread while baking.
HOW TO ACHIEVE PERFECTLY ROUND COOKIES: While the cookies are still warm, swirl them inside a round cookie cutter. This will reshape the sides of the cookies so they’re all evenly round, equally sized, for a nice clean-line look.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chocolate M&M Cookies, Chocolate Cookies with M&Ms, Chocolate Cookies with M&M's, Chocolate Chip Cookies with M&Ms