These are the BEST chocolate pop tarts! A decadent chocolate pastry crust is filled with thick hot fudge. The toaster pastries are glazed with a rich chocolate sauce and sprinkled with chocolate jimmies.
Thick Hot Fudge Filling
1 cup hot fudge topping (homemade or store-bought), room temperature
Chocolate Pastry Crust
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup ice water, as needed
- 1 large egg, beaten with a splash of water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Chocolate sprinkles (jimmies) or mini chocolate chips
- Maldon sea salt flakes
CHOCOLATE POP TARTS
RECIPE PREP – Hot Fudge Filling
Make this easy hot fudge recipe. Let it cool to room temperature before using. Or if desired, use store-bought hot fudge topping. It must be at room temperature or chilled (not hot) so the consistency is thick enough to scoop and mound onto the pastry dough.
Make Chocolate Pastry Crust
- Add flour, cocoa powder, granulated sugar and salt to a food processor. Pulse until combined. Add butter and pulse until the texture is the size of small peas, about 10 to 15 pulses.
- Slowly drizzle in the ice water, pulsing the food processor as you add the liquid. Add just enough ice water for the dough to come together in large clumps. Turn off the machine.
- Divide the dough into 2 discs. Wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Do not skip this step. We need the dough cold in order to produce flaky pastry.
Assemble Chocolate Pop Tarts
RECIPE PREP: Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 large baking trays with parchment paper or reusable silicone baking mats.
- After the dough has chilled, remove 1 of the discs from the fridge and unwrap it. Transfer it to a work surface lightly sprinkled with cocoa powder (not flour). Roll out dough to a 10″x13″ rectangle (about 1/8″ thick). Cut out nine 3″x4″ rectangles.
- Divide the rectangles between the 2 prepared baking sheets. Leave at least 2 inches between each piece. Spoon 1 1/2 tablespoons (room temperature) hot fudge onto the center of each rectangle, leaving a bare border around the edges for sealing and crimping.
- Repeat step #1 with remaining disc of dough. Place a rectangle covering the fudge on each of the bottom pieces. Gently crimp the edges of each pastry with a fork, making sure to completely seal in the fudge. Brush egg wash over the top of each toaster pastry. With a fork, poke each chocolate pop tart once in the center to create a steam vent.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until crisp and puffed. While pastries are baking, prep the chocolate glaze. Once pop tarts come out of the oven, let them cool completely before adding the glaze.
- Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, heavy cream, and butter to a small (heat-safe) bowl or jar. Microwave for 30 to 45 seconds, or until the butter has fully melted.
- Add in vanilla extract. Whisk until the chocolate glaze is smooth and creamy. If the icing is too thick, microwave an additional 10 seconds. This will further melt the mixture and thin it out a bit.
- Spoon chocolate glaze over the top of the pop tarts. Sprinkle with chocolate jimmies and/or a pinch of flaky salt.
HOW TO CUT PERFECT PASTRY RECTANGLES: Use a rectangle pastry cutter instead of a knife. This also saves time!
FOR CHOCOLATE CHIP POP TARTS: Sprinkle mini chocolate chips over the chocolate glaze.
HOW TO STORE HOMEMADE TOASTER PASTRIES: Line an airtight container with parchment paper. Wrap each toaster pastry in parchment paper. Arrange the pop tarts inside the prepared container. Store in the fridge for up to 10 days, or wrap the container in a double layer of plastic wrap and freeze for up to 1 month.
HOW TO REHEAT HOMEMADE POP TARTS: Arrange the cold pop tarts on a baking tray. Reheat in a conventional oven or a toaster oven. Do not warm them in a regular toaster!
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Chill Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chocolate Pop Tarts, Chocolate Fudge Pop Tarts, Chocolate Chip Pop Tarts, Homemade Toaster Pastries, Chocolate Hand Pies