The ultimate Christmas sangria. This holiday drink features delicious red wine along with fruits and flavors of the season. Serve over ice. Garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs and whole star anise.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup very hot water
- 1 bottle (750 ml / 25 fl oz) red wine
- 1/2 cup Cointreau (orange liqueur)
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 green apple, cored and diced
- 1 cup cranberries or pomegranate granules
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole star anise
- Rosemary sprigs
- Whole star anise
- Sliced fruit: oranges and/or apples
- Add honey to tall (heat-safe) glass pitcher. Add hot water to the pitcher. Stir until the honey has dissolved (about 30 seconds). Briefly, let the mixture shed heat.
- Pour in red wine and orange liqueur. Add the sliced orange, diced apples, cranberries, cinnamon sticks, and star anise.
- Mix with a wooden spoon for several minutes to fully combine. Do a taste test. Adjust and balance the flavor as needed. If desired, add extra sweetness or extra booze.
- Cover the pitcher with plastic wrap. Let the Christmas sangria chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- To serve, pour Christmas sangria over ice. Garnish the drinks with fresh slices of orange and/or sliced green apple, plus fresh rosemary sprigs and whole star anise. Enjoy immediately.
No Cointreau? Use Grand Marnier. Or try 1/2 cup brandy plus 1/2 cup Triple Sec. In a pinch, you can also use vodka.
Add extra holiday sparkle: Make the drinks effervescent with a splash of sparkling water just before serving.
Storage: Sangria can be made up to 24 hours in advance. If storing it longer, remove the fruit with a slotted spoon. Transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate. If the fruit is allowed to sit in the sangria for longer than 24 hours, it may cause the drink to become bitter.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Chill Time: 4 Hours (or Overnight)
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: Spanish
Keywords: Christmas Sangria, Holiday Sangria, Christmas Sangria Recipe, Holiday Sangria Recipe, Red Wine Sangria