Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with these easy Mexican recipes! Each recipe is a time-tested favorite, perfect for parties, potlucks and gatherings of all sizes.
BEST CINCO DE MAYO RECIPES
On this page you’ll find the best collection of Mexican recipes. PIN IT TO PINTEREST!
WHAT IS CINCO DE MAYO?
As you get ready to celebrate May 5th, you might still be wondering what Cinco de Mayo is all about. Why is there a celebration? This date commemorates the Mexican Army’s victory over France at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, during the Franco-Mexican War.
It’s interesting to note that most Mexican states, including Jalisco and Nayarit, don’t celebrate this event at all. Life goes on as normal without any festivities. For example, if walking through Puerto Vallarta, Mexico on May 5, there would be no indication that this day is special at all in any way.
WHY DO AMERICANS CELEBRATE CINCO DE MAYO?
In areas of the U.S. with large Hispanic communities, Cinco de Mayo has evolved into something very special. It’s become a celebration of Mexican heritage and culture featuring colorful food, drinks, and parties!
[mv_create key=”1″ type=”list” title=”Cinco De Mayo Recipes” layout=”hero”]
EXPERT TIPS FOR A MEXICAN FIESTA
- MONEY SAVING IDEAS: Select Mexican recipes that use many of the same ingredients. This will not only save prep time, but money as well! Garnish your Cinco de Mayo recipes with leftover herbs and veggies from recipe making: strands of cilantro, wedges of lime, strands of purple onion, etc.
- INEXPENSIVE MEXICAN DECOR: Save tin cans from Mexican products with their labels on. Buy a few mini cacti that are flowering on top and plant them in the cans. Fill small serving bowls or clear glass bowls with a mix of lemons and limes. These are fun, festive, beautiful ways to decorate tabletops for a Cinco de Mayo party.
- MEXICAN TACO TRUCK OFFERINGS: Elevate the festive atmosphere by offering 5-6 different types of bottled hot sauces. In little plastic containers with a white plastic spoon, serve taco truck condiments like red and green salsa, cilantro, onions, jalapenos, and lime slices. Serve appetizers and tacos in little paper boats or in red plastic baskets with checkered paper liners.
MEXICAN PARTY SUPPLIES
- COLORFUL MULTI-PANEL BANNER
- MEXICAN SERAPE TABLE RUNNER
- MINI MEXICAN SOMBREROS – PACK OF 6
- FESTIVE WOODEN MARACAS
- TACO PINATA
CINCO DE MAYO RECIPES > JOIN THE CONVERSATION
How are you celebrating May 5th? Which Cinco de Mayo recipes are you looking forward to making? Share your thoughts in the comments below!