If you enjoy eating scrumptious classic lemon bars, you’re going to love this delicious recipe! It starts with a beautiful buttery shortbread crust that’s filled with sweet, slightly tart lemony goodness.
INGREDIENTS FOR SHORTBREAD CRUST
- 3 sticks unsalted butter (24 tablespoons), softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoon pure Mexican vanilla (or vanilla extract)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 + 1/8 teaspoons salt
INGREDIENTS FOR LEMON FILLING
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed or bottled
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar for dusting
INSTRUCTIONS – SHORTBREAD CRUST
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a 9X13 pan with parchment paper. (Leave enough parchment paper over the edges of the pan so later you can use these as handles to lift the dessert up and out of the pan when it’s ready to cut and serve.)
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add in the vanilla and lemon juice and mix briefly. Add flour, corn starch and salt. Thoroughly combine all ingredients.
- Spread the dough over the bottom and sides of the pan in an even layer. Use your hands and/or a spatula.
- Bake the crust for about 15-16 minutes until it’s just lightly golden. Remove from oven.
- Allow the crust to cool completely.
INSTRUCTIONS – LEMON FILLING
- While the crust is cooling, prepare the lemon filling.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, lemon juice, granulated sugar and flour until everything is well combined and there are no lumps.
- Once the crust has cooled, pour the lemon filling into the crust.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. When the filling has set, remove from the oven. There will be a lot of small bubbles on top of the lemon filling. That’s absolutely fine!
- Cool the dessert on your countertop, then refrigerate for two hours.
- When you’re ready to serve the classic lemon bars, generously sprinkle the top of the lemon filling with powdered sugar. Lift up the edges of the parchment paper and transfer the dessert from the pan to a cutting board. Slice into 16 squares. Enjoy!
- Cover and refrigerate any leftovers for up to one week.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Tea Time, Snack, Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American, Italian, French
Keywords: lemon bars, lemon bar recipe