Classic peanut butter cookies always taste best with a tall, ice-cold glass of milk. This traditional recipe will bring back the nostalgic days of childhood when grandmothers would bake up large batches of classic peanut butter cookies and fill up their cookie jars. They always seemed to know when their grandchildren would be stopping by for a visit or an overnight stay. There were always plenty of homemade cookies for now and more for later.
If you’ve been searching for the best peanut butter cookie recipe, your search is over. These classic peanut butter cookies are soft in the middle yet gently crisp on their bottoms and sides. I used Skippy Creamy Peanut Butter for this recipe. But if you enjoy peanut butter cookies with tiny chunks of tasty peanuts, you can definitely use chunky peanut butter instead. Here are all the ingredients you’ll need to bake up a scrumptious batch of homemade peanut butter cookies! And with the recipe instructions below your cookies will look just like mine.
What you’ll love about this classic peanut butter cookie recipe is that you can prepare the cookie dough in advance. Simply refrigerate the dough for up to two days, or freeze the dough for up to four weeks. When you’re ready to bake up a batch of fresh, warm homemade cookies your peanut butter cookie dough is ready to go. What’s also great is that you can prepare this cookie dough recipe in just one bowl. I use my KitchenAid stand mixer, but an electric hand mixer will get the job done too. Here’s how to make peanut butter cookies from scratch: Start by thoroughly mixing the softened butter with the two types of sugar in a large mixing bowl. The butter/sugar mixture will be light and slightly fluffy.
Add the eggs and vanilla to the bowl and briefly mix again until incorporated.
Add in the peanut butter and mix well. Add the salt, baking soda, baking powder and cornstarch. Mix briefly.
Add the flour and mix until all ingredients are well combined. Halfway through the mixing process, scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula to make sure all of the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
With a medium-sized cookie scoop create small balls of peanut butter cookie dough. Roll each ball of cookie dough in a small bowl of granulated sugar. Place the cookie dough on a baking trays lined with re-usable silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
Using a fork, make criss-cross markings across the top of each ball of cookie dough. In a 350-degree preheated oven, bake the peanut butter cookies for 10 minutes or until they are just barely starting to turn golden brown around the edges. The cookies may appear to be slightly under-baked, but as they cool they’ll firm up nicely.
Here’s how my classic peanut butter cookies look straight out of the oven. My kitchen smells amazing! For bakery-style cookies, sprinkle the top of each cookie with a pinch of granulated sugar. Allow the cookies to remain on the baking sheet until it’s no longer hot. Transfer the peanut butter cookies to a cooling rack and later to a plate. Open your fridge and reach for that carton of milk. Enjoy these classic peanut butter cookies!
How to Make Classic Peanut Butter Cookies > Shop This Post
These fabulous kitchen tools will help you make classic peanut butter cookies in no time flat! I have two KitchenAid stand mixers, and I use them at least once or twice a week. I also love having re-usable silicone baking mats. They make clean-up a breeze and help save on parchment paper.
This traditional recipe will bring back the nostalgic days of childhood when grandmothers would bake up large batches of classic peanut butter cookies and fill up their cookie jars.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons pure Mexican vanilla (or vanilla extract)
- 1 cup Skippy creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, for rolling and sprinkling
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, granulated sugar and light brown sugar. Mixture should be a bit fluffy and well combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla to the mixing bowl. Mix until incorporated.
- Add peanut butter and mix well.
- Add salt, baking soda, baking powder and cornstarch. Briefly mix.
- Add the flour and mix well until all ingredients are fully combined. Halfway through the mixing process scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula to ensure all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Use a cookie scoop to form small balls of cookie dough. Roll each ball in a bowl filled with granulated sugar. Place the balls on baking trays lined with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. Use a fork to make a criss-cross pattern on the top of each peanut butter cookie.
- One tray at a time, bake for 10 minutes or until peanut butter cookies start to become ever so slightly golden around the edges. Remove baking tray from oven and sprinkle the top of each cookie with a pinch of granulated sugar. Allow the peanut butter cookies to cool for 10-12 minutes on the tray before transferring the cookies to a cooling rack.
- Enjoy your peanut butter cookies!
Store classic peanut butter cookies in Ziplock bags or an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
- Category: Snack, Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: peanut butter cookies, peanut butter cookie recipe
?Pin it to Pinterest
Save this delicious Classic Peanut Butter Cookies recipe for later!
❤️ More Recipes You’ll Love
TRIPLE CHOCOLATE BROWNIES
SALTED CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
NO CHURN ICE CREAM
Salted Caramel Sauce
Classic Peanut Butter Cookies > Your Thoughts
Do you have a favorite peanut butter cookie recipe? What are your favorite types of cookies? Share your thoughts about these Classic Peanut Butter Cookies in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you!