Frosted strawberry pop tarts are a tasty portable breakfast perfect for busy families. They’re quick and easy to make. Double the recipe, and freeze half for later. For a satisfying snack, pair with fresh fruit.
3-INGREDIENT POP TARTS
- 1 (14-ounce) box refrigerated pie crusts (2 count)
- 1 cup strawberry jam or strawberry preserves
- 1 large egg + splash of water
HOMEMADE PASTRY DOUGH (OPTIONAL)
No refrigerated pie crusts? Make your own pastry dough!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract (not amber-colored vanilla)
- 1 tiny pinch sea salt, if needed
- OPTIONAL: Wilton white nonpareils (candy sprinkles)
ABOUT POP TART RECIPE
There are 2 ways to make homemade pop tarts. The first is super quick using a box of store-bought refrigerated pie crusts. The second is with homemade pastry dough. The choice is yours!
STRAWBERRY POP TARTS
RECIPE PREP: Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a reusable silicone baking mat.
- Lightly flour your work surface. Unroll both pie crusts. Roll each to 1/4 inch thick. With a sharp knife, square the edges of each circle. Cut each crust into 4 rectangles. Gather the scraps of dough together. Roll them out to form 8 additional rectangles.
- Spoon strawberry jam in the center of 8 rectangles. Form pop tarts by placing remaining rectangles on top. Seal the pastries by crimping the edges with a fork. In a ramekin, beat the egg with a splash of water. Brush top of toaster pastries with egg wash.
- Arrange pop tarts on the prepared baking sheet, with room between each. Create vent holes: lightly pierce the top of each pastry a few times with the tines of fork. Bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until edges are golden blonde. Cool pastries on a wire rack.
- Assemble the icing. Whisk together powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. If needed, add a tiny pinch of salt and whisk again. With a spoon, frost the top of each pop tart with icing. If desired, decorate with white candy sprinkles.
HOMEMADE PASTRY DOUGH
- Fill a glass 3/4 of the way up with ice, then add water. Put it aside. Chop the butter into tiny pieces.
- In the bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment, add flour, granulated sugar, salt and butter. Mix until combined. The mixture should resemble coarse crumbs. With the mixer on medium-low, gradually add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough starts to hold together.
- Gather the dough into a ball. Divide it into 2 pieces. Flatten each piece into a disk. Wrap the dough in parchment paper, or slip it into a zip-top bag with air pressed out. Chill in fridge 1 hour. This is important. Chilled dough helps make pastries flaky.
Follow above instructions for making strawberry pop tarts.
HOW TO MAKE BRIGHT-WHITE ICING: Use clear vanilla extract, not amber-colored vanilla. If you don’t have clear vanilla, just skip this ingredient. The icing will be fine without it.
HOW TO REHEAT TOASTER PASTRIES: Use a toaster oven. Reheat refrigerated or frozen pop tarts on a baking tray at 350°F for 3 to 5 minutes, or until warmed through. Never reheat homemade pop tarts in an upright position. The filling may leak out.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Strawberry Pop Tarts, Pop Tarts, Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts, Frosted Strawberry Pop Tarts