Celebrate summer mornings with a delicious batch of cream cheese danish pastry! A beautiful addition to breakfast and brunch, they’re also perfect for tea time and as a small mid-day snack. These delightful puff pastry desserts are quick and easy to make at home in just 35 minutes. So pull out your apron and let’s get baking!
Cream Cheese Danish Pastry Ingredients
These are the simple ingredients for making fabulous cream cheese danish pastries: store-bought puff pastry sheets (or use my easy homemade puff pastry recipe), cream cheese, granulated sugar, sour cream, lime juice, lime zest, vanilla extract, fresh blueberries and strawberries, melted butter, and bakery-style sanding sugar.
How to Make Cream Cheese Danish Pastry Desserts
Here’s how to make puff pastry desserts, step by step. STEP ONE: Adjust your oven rack to the center position. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Place one thawed-out sheet of puff pastry on a lightly-floured surface and unfold it. STEP TWO: With a 4.5-inch biscuit cutter, cut out four rounds from the sheet of puff pastry. Within the large rounds, use a smaller biscuit cutter or drinking glass to score the dough.
Continued Instructions for Cream Cheese Danish Pastry
While baking in the oven, the scoring will encourage the puff pastry dough to lightly rise in a beautiful way around the fruit and cream cheese filling. Prick the center of the dough a few times with a fork. STEP THREE: Repeat this cutting-out process for the second sheet of puff pastry dough. Gather the dough scraps together, roll them out, and create two additional puff pastry circles. Place the rounds on baking sheets lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
Continued Directions for Cream Cheese Danish Recipe
STEP FOUR: Add the cream cheese, sour cream, granulated sugar, lime zest, lime juice, and vanilla to the bowl of a stand mixer. Blend until all ingredients are incorporated, and the mixture is smooth and creamy. Place two tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture in the center of each dough round. With the back of a spoon, spread out the cream cheese leaving a 1/4-inch border.
More Step-by-Step Instructions for Cheese Danish
STEP FIVE: On half of the puff pastry desserts, place rinsed and dried blueberries over the cream cheese. Decoratively place halved strawberries (with stems removed) on the rest.
Brush melted butter along the rims of the pastry. Sprinkle the edges with sanding sugar. Bake for 15-16 minutes or until the rims of the puff pastry are lightly golden. Allow the cream cheese danish to cool on the cookie sheet before serving. If desired, garnish the middle of the strawberry breakfast pastries with additional lime zest.
How to Store Cream Cheese Danish Pastry
All baked goods containing cream cheese must be stored in the refrigerator. Do not leave your fruit and cream cheese danish pastry sitting out at room temperature for more than two hours. In the refrigerator they’ll stay nice and fresh for up to five days.
Kitchen Tools for Cheese Danish Recipe
These handy kitchen tools will make your breakfast pastries easy and fun to create! Do you have a KitchenAid stand mixer? There are so many beautiful colors to choose from. My husband just surprised me with a brand new one in a lovely summery ocean blue. I get a tropical vacation vibe just looking at it!
These easy-to-make breakfast pastries are as delicious as they are beautiful! Fruit and cream cheese danish are ideal for relaxed weekend mornings, Sunday brunch, Father’s Day, Mother’s Day, and more. I like to make these puff pastry desserts when friends are coming over to visit. It’s a fabulous kiss of hospitality!
- 1 box of puff pastry dough (2 sheets), thawed
- 1 8-ounce block of cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lime juice, freshly squeezed or bottled
- Lime zest from one whole lime
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Mexican vanilla (or vanilla extract)
- Fresh blueberries, rinsed and dried
- Fresh strawberries, stems removed and cut in half
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, for brushing
- Sanding sugar
- Optional garnish: additional lime zest
- Adjust your oven rack to the center position. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Unfold the thawed puff pastry sheets on a lightly-floured board. With a large 4.5-inch biscuit cutter, cut out 4 rounds of dough from each piece. Lightly score the rounds with a slightly-smaller biscuit cutter or drinking glass. Transfer the puff pastry rounds to baking sheets lined with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. Gather together the remaining scraps of dough. Roll out the dough and create two or three more danish pastry circles. Add those to the baking sheets.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the cream cheese, sour cream, granulated sugar, lime juice, lime zest, and vanilla extract. Mix until all ingredients are fully incorporated and the consistency is smooth and creamy. Place two tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture in the center of each puff pastry circle. Using the backside of a spoon, spread it out, leaving a 1/4-inch rim.
- Arrange blueberries on half of the rounds. Artistically arrange strawberries on the rest of the batch.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes, or until the rims of the puff pastry desserts are lightly golden brown.
- Allow the cheese danish to relax on the baking sheets and cool down to room temperature. If desired, add a light sprinkling of lime zest to the middle of the strawberry breakfast pastries.
- Serve with coffee, milk, orange juice or tea.
Keywords: cheese Danish, fruit Danish, easy Danish recipe
BREAKFAST PASTRY RECIPE > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this easy delicious breakfast pastry recipe for later. Pin it to Pinterest!
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
If you love carrot cake, then you’ll absolutely love these moist and delicious CARROT CAKE SCONES. This breakfast recipe is a perfect addition to any brunch menu.
This quick and delicious BREAKFAST TOAST recipe is easy to make! This open-faced breakfast sandwich will bring visions of a room-service breakfast tray at an upscale boutique hotel.
This yummy, nutritious BAKED OATMEAL recipe will fill your tummy and tickle your taste buds. A great start to a busy morning!
This yummy iconic BLUEBERRY MUFFIN RECIPE is guaranteed to make you smile! They’re so darn delicious. Whenever I make them, I double the recipe. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, tea time or dessert.
CREAM CHEESE DANISH PASTRY > JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
Do you love quick and easy breakfast recipes? What do you think about this 35-minute recipe for cream cheese danish pastry? I invite you to join the conversation in the comments below!