If you enjoy eating crispy seeded flatbread crackers, but don’t enjoy paying $7-$10 for a small box of them, you’ll love this super-simple delicious cracker recipe! Made with a variety of healthy seeds and sprinkled with flaky sea salt, these homemade crackers are ridiculously easy to make. Seriously, you can whip up a batch in no time flat! Serve your rustic creations alongside scrumptious artichoke dip, yummy homemade hummus, and a variety of cheeses, cured meats and wine. These artisan crackers are a charcuterie board favorite! Package them in a cellophane bag and present them as a hostess gift at a dinner party. You’ll receive plenty of oohs and aahs!
Ingredients for Homemade Crackers
These are the simple ingredients for making this homemade crackers recipe: all-purpose flour, baking powder, granulated sugar, salt, cracked black pepper, fresh rosemary, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, roasted sunflower seeds, olive oil, cold water, and coarse or flaky sea salt for sprinkling. (Note: The image below with the two bowls of crackers shows the exact yield of this recipe.)
How to Make Crackers
Adjust your oven rack to the center position. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the dry ingredients. Mix for about 10 seconds on low to combine. Add in the wet ingredients. Mix for about two minutes or until the dough comes together and no longer sticks to the bottom of the bowl.
The dough should not be sticky or wet. If it is, lightly flour your hands. Knead or rub the flour from your hands into the dough until it’s no longer moist. This is very important as we want nice crispy crackers that snap when you break them apart, not soft bread-like crackers. Divide the dough into four equal pieces.
Crispy Seeded Flatbread Crackers
On top of a silicone baking mat or parchment paper, roll out each piece of dough into a rectangle or oblong shape. It’s very important that you roll it out as paper thin as you can get it. If you’re wondering if it’s thin enough, this means you can still go much thinner! With the tines of a fork, prick the dough all over to prevent it from bubbling up as it bakes. The more pricking you do the better! Slide the mat or parchment paper onto a baking tray. Lightly mist the surface of the dough with water. Sprinkle just a bit of coarse salt on top, as well as some more sesame seeds too. Now it’s time to bake your giant cracker!
Easy Homemade Flatbread Crackers
Bake for 7-9 minutes, or until the edges of the cracker have become a light golden brown. It’s very easy for these crackers to burn, so start watching through the oven window at the 7-minute mark! If you are able to gently lift one edge of the cracker with a spatula and it’s firm, stiff and crispy – it’s done. Remove the baking tray from the oven. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow the cracker to cool completely, about 10 minutes.
Baked Homemade Crackers
Now comes the fun part! Snap the large oblong cracker into several small pieces. The flatbread crackers will be in lovely random shapes that look absolutely fabulous. I love the jagged artistic edges on some of these crackers, and how some are a light airy color while others have a deep golden hue.
Ways to Enjoy this Cracker Recipe
Serve these rustic crackers along with your favorite dips, spreads, jellies, tapenades, cheeses or meats. Add a nice bottle of wine to the mix for a real festive treat! Your family and guests will be absolutely amazed that you made these delicious crackers from scratch! I love making a double batch and putting a few aside so I can enjoy snacking on them the following day or nibbling on them during a movie night.
Best Kitchen Tools for Cracker Recipe
These are the best kitchen items for making this homemade crackers recipe! Once you have a stand mixer you’ll find yourself using it all the time to make a whole variety of different recipes. For me, reusable silicone baking mats are an absolute must. They save time and resources. I always have a few cute little spice jars on hand for storing small quantities of bulk-purchased spices and seeds. And seriously, who wouldn’t enjoy a gorgeous vintage recipe box? This one reminds me of the well-used tin recipe box my grandmother had for her recipes.
This easy recipe for crispy seeded flatbread crackers will quickly become your favorite go-to cracker recipe! Perfect for snacking, they’re also ideal for serving with dips, cured meats, and cheeses. These beautiful homemade crackers will make your next party charcuterie board more tasty and elegant!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds (plus more for sprinkling)
- 1 tablespoon roasted sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Flaky sea salt or coarse salt for sprinkling
- Adjust oven rack to the center position, then preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Add all the dry ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer. Turn the machine on low speed and mix for 10 seconds to quickly blend everything together. Add the olive oil and water. Mix again for two minutes or until the dough forms and it no longer sticks to the bottom of the bowl.
- Remove the dough and form it into a ball. It should not be sticky or moist. If it is, lightly flour your hands. As you hold the dough, pat or knead the flour from your hands into the dough until it’s no longer moist. Divide the ball into four equal pieces.
- Transfer the first piece of dough to a silicone baking mat or a piece of parchment paper that’s the size of your large baking tray. With a rolling pin, roll it out as thinly as possible. This is very, very important! With a fork, prick the dough all over to keep it from bubbling up. The more pricks you do, the better! Lift the mat or parchment paper and place it on a baking tray.
- Lightly mist the surface of the dough with cold water. Pinch and crush a bit of flaky sea salt between your fingers as you sprinkle it over the top of the cracker dough. (Don’t add too much or your flatbread crackers will be too salty.) Sprinkle additional sesame seeds on top.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until the edges become lightly golden brown. In my oven this process takes 8 minutes. Once out of the oven, if you lift a corner of the flatbread cracker with a spatula it should be stiff. Keep a close eye on your crackers as they cook in the oven as the edges tend to burn easily. After about three minutes you can lift the cracker and transfer it to a cooling rack. It should be completely cool in about 10 minutes.
- Snap the cracker into several pieces, as desired. Each piece will be a uniquely beautiful shape! It’s what makes these homemade crackers so darn lovely and interesting when you serve them.
- Repeat this rolling, baking, and snapping process with the other three pieces of dough.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How do you keep homemade crackers fresh? Allow your crackers to completely cool before storing them in a sealed air-tight container. In a cool environment without humidity, your homemade crackers can last for 1-2 weeks.
- What do you put on crackers? A variety of tapenades, jellies, spreads and dips. Cheese and apple slices, deviled ham spread, peanut butter, egg salad, chicken salad, and tuna salad. Yummy cream cheese and dill with freshly-ground pepper. Try Ricotta cheese with drizzles of honey and thinly-sliced pear.
Keywords: crackers, snacks, appetizers
CRACKER RECIPE > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this homemade crackers recipe for later. Pin it to Pinterest right now!
DELICIOUS DIPS TO SERVE WITH FLATBREAD CRACKERS
Served cold or hot, SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP is a delicious recipe that’s perfect for serving with these yummy homemade flatbread crackers! This scrumptious appetizer will quickly disappear as soon as it hits the table.
CREAMY GARLIC HUMMUS is mouthwateringly delicious! If you’ve been searching for a great hummus recipe – this is it! Served with homemade crackers, this is a healthy snacking option you and your family will really enjoy.
HOMEMADE CRACKERS > JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
Did you know that homemade crackers were so easy and quick to make? What do you think about these crispy seeded flatbread crackers? Would you love to bring them to a dinner party along with your favorite dip or spread? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.