This easy recipe for crispy seeded flatbread crackers will quickly become your favorite go-to cracker recipe! Perfect for snacking, they’re also ideal for serving with dips, cured meats, and cheeses. These beautiful homemade crackers will make your next party charcuterie board more tasty and elegant!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds (plus more for sprinkling)
- 1 tablespoon roasted sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Flaky sea salt or coarse salt for sprinkling
- Adjust oven rack to the center position, then preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Add all the dry ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer. Turn the machine on low speed and mix for 10 seconds to quickly blend everything together. Add the olive oil and water. Mix again for two minutes or until the dough forms and it no longer sticks to the bottom of the bowl.
- Remove the dough and form it into a ball. It should not be sticky or moist. If it is, lightly flour your hands. As you hold the dough, pat or knead the flour from your hands into the dough until it’s no longer moist. Divide the ball into four equal pieces.
- Transfer the first piece of dough to a silicone baking mat or a piece of parchment paper that’s the size of your large baking tray. With a rolling pin, roll it out as thinly as possible. This is very, very important! With a fork, prick the dough all over to keep it from bubbling up. The more pricks you do, the better! Lift the mat or parchment paper and place it on a baking tray.
- Lightly mist the surface of the dough with cold water. Pinch and crush a bit of flaky sea salt between your fingers as you sprinkle it over the top of the cracker dough. (Don’t add too much or your flatbread crackers will be too salty.) Sprinkle additional sesame seeds on top.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until the edges become lightly golden brown. In my oven this process takes 8 minutes. Once out of the oven, if you lift a corner of the flatbread cracker with a spatula it should be stiff. Keep a close eye on your crackers as they cook in the oven as the edges tend to burn easily. After about three minutes you can lift the cracker and transfer it to a cooling rack. It should be completely cool in about 10 minutes.
- Snap the cracker into several pieces, as desired. Each piece will be a uniquely beautiful shape! It’s what makes these homemade crackers so darn lovely and interesting when you serve them.
- Repeat this rolling, baking, and snapping process with the other three pieces of dough.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How do you keep homemade crackers fresh? Allow your crackers to completely cool before storing them in a sealed air-tight container. In a cool environment without humidity, your homemade crackers can last for 1-2 weeks.
- What do you put on crackers? A variety of tapenades, jellies, spreads and dips. Cheese and apple slices, deviled ham spread, peanut butter, egg salad, chicken salad, and tuna salad. Yummy cream cheese and dill with freshly-ground pepper. Try Ricotta cheese with drizzles of honey and thinly-sliced pear.
- Category: Snacks, Appetizers, Party
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: flatbread crackers, seeded crackers, flatbread seeded cracker recipe