The iconic Taco Bell crunchwrap supreme is ridiculously tasty! Curb cravings with a homemade crunchwrap. If you enjoy chicken tostadas or Taco Bell beef tacos you’ll enjoy this too. It’s better than the original!
At home we can use higher-quality ingredients than the fast food version. You can swap out ingredients to make a healthier meal. Assemble this recipe in 30 minutes. Layer toppings on a flour tortilla. Fold, pan crisp and slice.
Our crunchwrap supreme is hearty and more filling than one from Taco Bell. For those with smaller appetites, you can share one or make a thinner version. It’s an easy portable meal for busy families.
These are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Vegetable oil
- Lean ground beef
- Taco seasoning or 1 packet taco spice mix
- Flour tortillas, 12-inch burrito grande size
- Nacho cheese sauce, from a can
- Tostada shells
- Sour cream (regular or low-fat)
- Romaine lettuce
- Roma tomatoes
- Shredded Colby Jack cheese
- OPTIONAL: Sliced black olives
HOMEMADE CRUNCHWRAP SUPREME
RECIPE PREP: If using large tortillas instead of the burrito grande size, you’ll need extra pieces to fully enclose the filling. Rather than purchasing a pack of small tortillas, use this easy recipe hack.
Lay one flour tortilla on your work surface. Arrange tostada shells over tortilla. Shells should not overlap. They’ll serve as cutting templates. With a knife, cut around shells to make small circles.
NOTE: When assembling a crunchwrap with burrito-grande tortillas, you will not need these extra pieces.
The 12-inch tortillas are wide enough to fully enclose the filling when folding the crunchwrap. However, for overly-generous amounts of filling, you may need an extra piece.
crunchwrap supreme recipe
This popular recipe is so delicious! Here’s how to make a crunchwrap supreme at home.
- STEP 1: In a saucepan, warm the nacho cheese sauce over medium-low heat. This takes about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. While the sauce is warming, prepare the ground beef.
- STEP 2: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef. With a spatula, pat it into a flat layer. Once edges are brown, flip it over in sections. Let the second side brown. Sprinkle taco seasoning over the meat. Break it up into small pieces. Let beef cook until no longer pink. If needed, drain off excess fat.
- STEP 3: Warm tortilla are easier to bend and fold. Heat a tortilla on a comal or in extra-wide skillet. Transfer it to a large work surface. Add a scoop of beef to the center, leaving a generous border around the meat. Drizzle nacho cheese sauce over the beef.
- STEP 4: Spread an even layer of sour cream over a tostada shell. Place it over the beef and cheese. Layer the remaining toppings. Put the assembled, unfolded wrap aside. Prep the rest of the batch.
HOW TO FOLD A CRUNCHWRAP
This entree has wide folded pleats that fully cover the filling. Here’s how to fold it like a Taco Bell crunchwrap supreme.
- Tightly fold edges of tortilla up toward the center. Filling should not be visible. If needed, add an extra piece of tortilla in the middle.
- Carefully invert the crunchwrap so the seam-side is facing down. Repeat the folding process with the remaining wraps.
how to MAKE A CRUNCHWRAP
Cooking not only seals the homemade crunchwrap together, it makes the exterior extra crunchy. Just as we like it!
- STEP 1: Heat a bit of oil in a skillet.
- STEP 2: When the oil sizzles, place the wrap in the hot skillet with the seam side down.
- STEP 3: Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip it over. Brown the the second side.
- STEP 4: Transfer crunchwrap to a board and slice it in half. Serve and enjoy immediately!
expert tips & recipe faq
- HOW TO MAKE THIS WRAP CRUNCHIER: When layering toppings, include a second tostada shell in the mix. Pan toast the wrap extra well.
- HOW TO MAKE TOSTADA SHELLS AT HOME: You’ll need vegetable oil and corn tortillas. Add 1/4 cup vegetable oil to a small skillet. Fry the corn tortilla over medium heat until crisp, flipping it over half way through. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain off oil.
- NO TOSTADA SHELL? No problem. Use what you have on hand. Try crunchy restaurant-style tortilla chips or Doritos.
- HOW MANY SIDES FOR A TACO BELL CRUNCHWRAP? The fast-food version has 6 sides. A homemade crunchwrap supreme may have 5 to 8 sides, depending on the size of the flour tortilla.
- BEST CONDIMENTS FOR CRUNCHWRAP SUPREME: Salsa verde, hot sauce, guacamole, wedges of lime, and extra nacho cheese sauce!
- IS THIS A MAKE-AHEAD RECIPE? No it’s not. The wrap contains lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream. Reheating would wilt the produce and the sour cream would taste funky.
- BEST-TASTING NACHO SAUCE: When my girls were in middle school, I’d often purchase concession stand items for the PTA. Students were very firm about their favorite nacho cheese. They’d only accept these brands: Rico’s Gourmet Nacho Cheddar Cheese Sauce or Que Bueno!
- HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE HEALTHIER? Use whole-wheat tortillas, low-fat cheese, and low-fat sour cream. You can skip the nacho cheese.
MORE EASY MEXICAN RECIPES!
rate this recipe ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
My family is crazy about this copycat Taco Bell recipe! If you love it too, give this homemade crunchwrap a 5-star rating in the comments.Print
This crispy cheesy crunchwrap supreme tastes better than the one from Taco Bell! Assembled with high-quality ingredients, it’s easy to fold and prep. Enjoy it for lunch or dinner.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning (or 1 packet taco spice mix)
- 5 flour tortillas, 12-inch burrito grande size
- 1 1/4 cups nacho cheese sauce, from can or jar
- 5 tostada shells, store-bought or homemade
- 5 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese (or Mexican blend)
- OPTIONAL: Sliced black olives
- In a saucepan, warm the nacho cheese sauce over medium-low heat. While the sauce is warming, prepare the ground beef.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef. Cook and brown the meat, breaking it into small pieces with a wooden spatula. Add taco seasoning.
- Lightly warm tortilla on a grill. Transfer it to a work surface. Add a scoop of beef to the center, leaving a generous border around the meat. Drizzle nacho cheese sauce over beef. Spread sour cream on a tostada shell. Place it over the beef and cheese. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, olives and shredded cheese.
- Tightly fold edges of tortilla up toward the center. Filling should be fully covered. If needed, add an extra piece of tortilla in the middle. Invert crunchwrap so the folds are facing down.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet. When the oil sizzles, place the wrap seam side down in the hot skillet. Cook wrap for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip it over. Brown the second side. Transfer crunchwrap to a board and slice in half.
HOW TO MAKE THIS WRAP CRUNCHIER: When layering toppings, include a second tostada shell in the mix. Pan toast the wrap extra well.
HOW TO MAKE TOSTADA SHELLS AT HOME: You’ll need vegetable oil and corn tortillas. Add 1/4 cup vegetable oil to a small skillet. Fry each corn tortilla over medium heat until crisp, flipping it over half way through. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain off oil.
NO TOSTADA SHELLS? No problem. Use what you have on hand. Try crunchy restaurant-style tortilla chips or Doritos.
IS THIS A MAKE-AHEAD RECIPE? No it’s not. As the wrap contains crisp shredded lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream, reheating would wilt the produce and the sour cream would taste funky.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE HEALTHIER? Use whole-wheat tortillas, low-fat cheese, and low-fat sour cream. Skip the nacho cheese.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: crunchwrap, beef crunchwrap, crunchwrap supreme
crunchwrap supreme > join the conversation
Are you a fan of the Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme? What do you think of this easy homemade version? Share your thoughts in the comments!