Egg salad is a classic deli favorite! It’s cool, refreshing, and light. This scrumptious egg salad recipe is very versatile! Make a yummy egg salad sandwich, a lettuce wrap, or a pita pocket. Add it to a veggie bowl. Top a chef’s salad with a rounded scoop!
ABOUT EGG SALAD
Egg salad is made with chopped hard-boiled eggs, herbs, spices and fresh ingredients mixed together with mayonnaise and other condiments. Often used as a savory sandwich spread, egg salad is similar to tuna salad, ham salad, chicken salad, and crab salad. It’s perfect for picnics, potlucks and a mid-week lunch. When weekly meal prepping, double this recipe so you have enough on hand for several meals. If you have any leftovers, add them to your favorite potato salad recipe!
INGREDIENTS FOR EGG SALAD
These are the basic ingredients for classic egg salad:
- Large eggs
- Red onion
- Fresh dill
- Dijon mustard
- Apple cider vinegar
- Black pepper
HOW TO MAKE EGG SALAD
Here’s how to make this delicious egg salad recipe, step by step:
- STEP 1: Boil eggs until done. Drain off water. Cool eggs in an ice-water bath.
- STEP 2: Peel hard boiled eggs under running water (or while submerged in a bowl of cold water). Chop them with a sharp knife or use an egg slicer. Transfer chopped eggs to a medium bowl.
- STEP 3: Add mayo, mustard, and vinegar to the bowl. With a spatula or spoon, mix until fully incorporated.
- STEP 4: Add red onion, chopped dill, paprika, salt, and freshly-ground black pepper. Mix until ingredients are well combined. Do a taste test. If desired, add additional herbs and spices. An extra sprinkling of apple cider vinegar will continue to brighten the flavor! Just go slow with the additions, tasting the mixture after each adjustment.
EGG SALAD SANDWICH
Refrigerate egg salad mixture until ready to use. Build a delicious egg salad sandwich on toasted bread or on a fresh bagel. Use the mixture to make a delicious pita pocket stuffed with fresh, healthy ingredients. Include additional produce like butter lettuce, avocado, alfalfa sprouts and sliced tomatoes. You can even add a slice of your favorite cheese! Enjoy your yummy lunch with dill pickles, a side of corn chips or sliced fruit. Choose a healthy beverage like water, tea, milk, or apple juice.
EXPERT TIPS FOR EGG SALAD RECIPE
- HOW TO MAKE HARD BOILED EGGS: This is how to make the best hardboiled eggs! In a large pot, place room-temperature eggs in a single layer. Cover eggs in cold water by one inch. Bring water to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover the pot. Remove from heat. Allow eggs to sit undisturbed for 10-12 minutes. Drain water. Transfer hard boiled eggs to a cold-water bath. This will stop the cooking process and cool them off quickly.
- EASY PEEL HARD BOILED EGGS: Eggs 1 to 2 weeks old are perfect for making hard boiled eggs for an egg salad sandwich. It’s easier to cleanly peel older eggs than fresher ones! Interested in the science behind why eggshells cling more tightly to fresh eggs? Read about it here: EASY PEEL HARD BOILED EGGS
- EGG SALAD MIX-INS: Try mixing things up with these other tasty ingredients: pickles, celery, olives, lemon juice, chives, yellow mustard, crispy bacon bits.
Egg salad is a traditional deli recipe. It’s a light healthy meal that’s quick and easy to make! Enjoy this recipe as a classic egg salad sandwich, stuff a pita pocket, or get creative by building a custom lettuce wrap! This delicious mixture is also perfect as part of a DIY bowl recipe.
- 8 large hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped (no stems)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- Using a knife or egg slicer, chop hard boiled eggs into small cubes.
- Add chopped egg, mayo, Dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar to a medium-size mixing bowl. With a spoon, mix well.
- Add red onion, fresh dill, paprika, salt and pepper to the bowl. Mix until incorporated. Do a taste test. Adjust herbs and spices, if needed. A light sprinkling of additional apple cider vinegar will further brighten things up!
EGG SALAD INGREDIENT INSPIRATION – Try mixing things up with these great egg salad add-ins: Dill pickles, celery, black olives, lemon juice, chives, crispy cooked bacon bits.
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: egg salad, egg salad recipe, egg salad sandwich, easy recipe, how to make egg salad, best egg salad recipe
EGG SALAD RECIPE > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this super scrumptious recipe for later. PIN IT NOW!
OTHER RECIPES TO MAKE ASAP
If you enjoyed this easy egg salad recipe, you’ll absolutely love these other tasty salad recipes too!
- COLD SPAGHETTI SALAD
- CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD
- CLASSIC MACARONI SALAD
- TUNA PASTA SALAD WITH CAPERS
- HEALTHY BROCCOLI SALAD WITH BACON
EGG SALAD RECIPE – JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
Do you enjoy munching down on a great egg salad sandwich? Do you like this post for how to make egg salad? Join the conversation in comment section below!