Egg salad is delicious, healthy, and refreshing! It’s also very versatile! Make an egg salad sandwich, a lettuce wrap, or a pita pocket. Add it to a veggie bowl. Top a chef’s salad with a rounded scoop. Make this recipe in just 10 minutes!
ABOUT HEALTHY EGG SALAD
Egg salad is made with chopped hard-boiled eggs, herbs, spices and fresh ingredients mixed together with mayonnaise and other condiments. Often used as a savory sandwich spread, it’s similar to tuna salad, ham salad, chicken salad, and crab salad.
BEST EGG SALAD RECIPE
This deli favorite is perfect for picnics, potlucks and a mid-week lunch. When meal prepping, double this recipe to have enough on hand for several meals. Add any leftovers to your favorite potato salad recipe!
INGREDIENTS FOR EGG SALAD
These are the basic ingredients for this classic recipe:
- Large eggs
- Red onion
- Fresh dill
- Dijon mustard
- Apple cider vinegar
- Black pepper
HOW TO MAKE EGG SALAD
Here’s how to make this delicious recipe, step by step:
- STEP 1: Boil eggs until done. Carefully drain off hot water. Cool eggs in an ice-water bath.
- STEP 2: Peel eggs under running water (or while submerged in a bowl of cold water). Chop them with a sharp knife or use an egg slicer. Transfer chopped eggs to a medium bowl.
- STEP 3: Add mayo, mustard, and vinegar to the bowl. With a spatula or spoon, mix until fully incorporated.
- STEP 4: Add red onion, chopped dill, paprika, salt, and freshly-ground black pepper. Mix until well combined. Do a taste test. If desired, add additional herbs and spices. An extra sprinkling of vinegar will continue to brighten the flavor! Just go slow with any additions. Taste the mixture after each adjustment.
EGG SALAD SANDWICH
Refrigerate egg salad mixture until ready to use. Build a delicious egg salad sandwich on toasted bread or on a fresh bagel. Want to change things up? Stuff a pita pocket with the mixture and a variety of colorful fresh ingredients.
HEALTHY ADD-INS AND SIDES
For an even healthier recipe, add produce like butter lettuce, avocado, alfalfa sprouts and sliced tomatoes. You can even add a slice of your favorite cheese! Enjoy this yummy lunch with dill pickles, a side of corn chips or sliced fruit. Choose a healthy beverage like water, tea, milk, or apple juice.
KITCHEN TOOLS FOR THIS RECIPE
These beautiful kitchen tools make meal prepping easier!
EXPERT TIPS FOR EGG SALAD
- HOW TO MAKE HARD BOILED EGGS: In a large pot, place room-temperature eggs in a single layer. Cover eggs in cold water by one inch. Bring water to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover the pot. Remove from heat. Allow eggs to sit undisturbed for 10-12 minutes. Drain water. Transfer hot eggs to a cold-water bath. This will stop the cooking process and cool them off quickly.
- EASY PEEL HARD BOILED EGGS: Eggs 1 to 2 weeks old are perfect for making hard boiled eggs for an egg salad sandwich. It’s easier to cleanly peel older eggs than fresher ones! Interested in the science behind why eggshells cling more tightly to fresh eggs? Read about it here: EASY PEEL HARD BOILED EGGS
- HEALTHY MIX-INS: Try mixing things up with these tasty ingredients: pickles, celery, olives, cherry tomatoes, lemon juice, chives, yellow mustard, crispy bacon bits.
COLD SALAD RECIPES
When the weather heats up, enjoy these refreshing healthy salads!
- COLD SPAGHETTI SALAD
- CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD
- CLASSIC MACARONI SALAD
- TUNA PASTA SALAD WITH CAPERS
- HEALTHY BROCCOLI SALAD WITH BACON
RATE THIS RECIPE ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Did you enjoy this healthy recipe? Rate this recipe in the comments below!Print
Egg salad is a refreshing meal that’s quick and easy to make! Enjoy this recipe as a classic egg salad sandwich, or a stuffed pita pocket. Get creative by building a custom lettuce wrap! This delicious mixture is also a perfect ingredient for making a DIY bowl.
- 8 large hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped (no stems)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- Using an egg slicer, chop hard boiled eggs into small pieces.
- Add chopped egg, mayo, Dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar to a medium-size mixing bowl. With a spoon, mix well.
- Add red onion, fresh dill, paprika, salt and pepper to the bowl. Mix until incorporated. Do a taste test. Adjust herbs and spices, if needed. A light sprinkling of additional apple cider vinegar will further brighten things up!
EXPERT TIP: Try mixing things up with these great egg salad add-ins: Dill pickles, celery, black olives, lemon juice, chives, crispy cooked bacon bits.
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: egg salad, egg salad recipe, egg salad sandwich
EGG SALAD RECIPE – JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
When was the last time you munched down on a great egg salad sandwich? What are your favorite healthy add-ins? If you liked this post for how to make egg salad, let me know in the comments below!