Delicious, savory Eggs in Purgatory is quick and simple to make with just a few basic ingredients. Enjoy this flavorful dish for breakfast, brunch, or a yummy reverse meal (eggs for dinner!). Among a host of easy egg recipes, this one really stands out!
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1 29-ounce can tomato sauce (from vine-ripened roma tomatoes)
- 8 large organic brown eggs
- Freshly-ground salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Fresh basil, thinly sliced
- Place a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle olive oil into the pan. Once the oil shimmers and lightly smokes, add the onions, garlic, jalapenos, and pepper flakes. With a wooden spatula, stir the ingredients until the onions are well caramelized and deliciously fragrant.
- Add the tomato sauce, stir well, and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat to low/simmer. With the back of a spoon, make 8 slight depressions in the sauce.
- Carefully crack the eggs, one by one, into the depressions. Grind salt and pepper over the eggs. Allow them to cook until the whites are set and the yolks are still bright yellow and runny. This should be a quick process, but if needed briefly cover the pan with a lid until the eggs reach the desired doneness.
- Remove the pan from heat. Cool for about 3-4 minutes. Garnish Eggs in Purgatory with grated cheese, and strips of shredded basil.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy with crusty bread, warm pita bread, or thick-slices of buttery rustic toast.
Keywords: eggs in purgatory, how to make eggs in purgatory