These extra crispy oven baked French fries put a healthier spin on one of your favorite foods! Made with just a light splash olive oil, these crispy oven baked fries are super tasty without all the grease. You’ll love that they stay nice and crisp after baking, keeping their tall, slender elegant shape.
Ingredients for Extra Crispy Oven Baked French Fries
Only a few simple ingredients are needed to make a batch of these fabulous oven baked French fries: 3 extra-long Russet baking potatoes (to bake more than 3 large potatoes at once you’ll need a double oven), 1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt (I used sea salt flakes), and freshly-ground black pepper. Optional French fry seasonings: paprika or chili powder, dried parsley, and Parmesan cheese. Three cheers for delicious oven baked fries – a festive, special, yet inexpensive treat!
Three Cooking Methods for Crispy Oven Baked French Fries – An Experiment
Because my house was semi-clean, my laundry baskets were finally empty, and I had a bit of time on my hands, as well as double ovens, plenty of baking stones, baking sheets, silicone baking mats and parchment paper, I decided to embark on a fun baking experiment. I wanted to find out which cooking tools would produce the crispiest oven baked fries. After all, limp oven fries are no ones favorite potato! Can you guess what the results were? Keep reading to find out…
The Crispiest Homemade French Fries – Baked
Below are the results from my non-scientific kitchen experiment to find the best cooking tools that can produce the crispiest oven baked French fries.
OVEN BAKED FRIES – BATCH #1 – BAKING TRAY LINED WITH PARCHMENT PAPER
This method produced oven baked French fries that were tasty and delicious. Although 3/4 of the batch were very crispy, the rest of the batch were slightly limp and needed a bit more cooking time. All in all this is a good cooking method to achieve crispy oven baked fries.
OVEN BAKED FRIES – BATCH #2 – BAKING STONE
From my collection of baking stones, I chose a rectangular-shaped stone that was well seasoned. This method produced super crispy oven baked French fries, but they also tended to over-brown quite quickly. About 20% of the oven fries stuck to the stone. The stuck-on fries were still edible and tasted good when scraped off, but I was looking for a batch of completely intact potatoes that were tall, slender and beautiful. It is of note that the cooking time for these oven fries was about 10 minutes quicker than the other two cooking methods.
OVEN BAKED FRIES- BATCH #3 – BAKING TRAY LINED WITH A SILICONE BAKING MAT
This cooking method produced oven baked French fries that were beautifully golden and extra crispy. For me this method trumped the other two. None of the fries stuck to the baking mat, and all of the potatoes cooked evenly with a fantastic result. So for this oven fries experiment there was one clear winner. If you want to make the best extra crispy homemade French fries – baked, all it takes is a cookie sheet lined with a silicone baking mat!
ESSENTIAL TIPS FOR EXTRA CRISPY OVEN BAKED FRENCH FRIES
Below are super easy tips for achieving extra crispy oven baked French fries!
ESSENTIAL OVEN FRIES TIP #1
Slice the potatoes into long thin strips. The oven fries you see here are about 1/4-inch thick. Thinner fries will cook much quicker than thicker fries.
ESSENTIAL BAKED FRIES TIP #2
Starch is a huge culprit for wilted, crumbly oven baked fries. To ensure you end up with a fabulous batch of crispy baked French fries, there are two essential steps you need to take. As you slice your French fries, submerge the sliced potatoes in a large bowl of cold water. Allow the raw potatoes to soak under water for about 20-30 minutes (the longer the better!). The second step is to thoroughly rinse the potatoes. Transfer the potatoes to a colander and rinse, rinse, rinse away the starch!
ESSENTIAL OVEN FRIES TIP #3
After rinsing the potatoes it’s very important to completely dry them off before seasoning and baking. Lay the uncooked fries between paper towels and dry them off thoroughly. There should be no drops of water left on any of the strips of potatoes. If you’re in a hurry and don’t dry them off well enough, the sad result will be limp oven baked fries.
ESSENTIAL BAKED FRIES TIP #4
Toss the raw, dried-off potato strips in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil along with some salt, ground pepper and optional seasonings, making sure all of the potatoes are evenly coated.
ESSENTIAL OVEN FRIES TIP #5
Arrange the potato strips in a single layer on your baking sheets. It’s very important that the oven fries are not touching each other! Any fries that are overlapped will not become crispy.
ESSENTIAL BAKED FRIES TIP #6
Bake your oven fries at 425 degrees for about 45 minutes until golden and crisp, flipping the fries at least 2-3 times during the baking process. And there you have it – my essential tips for mouthwateringly-delicious, extra-crispy oven baked French fries. I hope you’ll head over to your kitchen to make a fabulous batch of oven baked fries right now! I invite you to come back and tell me how yours turned out.
Kitchen Tools for Extra Crispy Oven Baked French Fries
These extra crispy oven baked French fries put a healthier spin on one of your favorite foods! Made with just a light splash olive oil, these crispy oven baked fries are super tasty without all the grease.
- 3 Russet baking potatoes, preferably long in shape
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- Optional French fry seasonings: paprika or chili powder, dried parsley flakes, Parmesan cheese
- Ketchup or dipping sauce
- Adjust your oven racks, positioning them in the best way to cook two trays of potatoes at once. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Rinse and peel the Russet potatoes. Slice the potatoes into long thin strips, about 1/4-inch thick. As you’re slicing away, place the cut potatoes into a large deep bowl filled with cold water. Make sure the potatoes are completely submerged. Allow the potatoes to soak for 20-30 minutes, changing the water half way through the soaking time.
- Drain off the water and place the potatoes in a colander. Rinse, rinse, rinse away the starch! Thoroughly dry off the potatoes so there’s no sign of water on any slice.
- Place the dried-off potatoes in a clean bowl. Add in the olive oil. Sprinkle the potatoes with salt, pepper and optional seasonings. Toss the potatoes to evenly coat the whole batch in the oil and seasonings.
- Line two cookie sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. Arrange the oven fries in a single layer on each baking sheet, making sure there is room between each of the oven fries and no two fries are touching. Overlapping potatoes will not become crispy.
- Place the trays in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes, flipping the fries at least 2-3 times during the baking process. Your oven baked French fries are done once they become golden and crispy and do not bend when lifted.
- If desired, sprinkle additional seasonings on your oven baked fries. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Late-Night, Party
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: oven baked fries, oven fries, baked french fry recipe
EXTRA CRISPY OVEN BAKED FRENCH FRIES > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save the recipe for these delicious EXTRA CRISPY OVEN BAKED FRENCH FRIES for later!
MORE POTATO RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
LOADED POTATO SKINS
LOADED BAKED POTATO SALAD
BEST SOUR CREAM MASHED POTATOES
LOADED BAKED POTATO SOUP
GET MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION HERE >> FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST
EXTRA CRISPY OVEN BAKED FRENCH FRIES > YOUR THOUGHTS
Have you ever tried making French fries at home? Do you fry them on the stovetop or bake them in the oven? What do you think about this recipe for extra crispy oven baked French fries? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!