Light fluffy pancakes are easy to achieve with this homemade pancakes recipe! Perfect for breakfast, brunch or lunch, pancakes from scratch are the best.
These are the ingredients for homemade pancakes:
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Sea salt
- Milk (whole or low-fat)
- Freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- Pure vanilla extract
- Large eggs
- Melted butter
How to Make Pancakes from Scratch
Here’s how to make fluffy pancakes your whole family will enjoy:
- Preheat a non-stick griddle, or a wide non-stick skillet, over low/medium heat.
- Sift dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Mix briefly until just combined.
When mixing pancake batter it’s important not to over-mix, or your pancakes will have a rubbery texture. We want light, tender, fluffy pancakes that almost melt in your mouth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl.
- Gently whisk the ingredients together until fully incorporated.
- There may still be lumps. That’s okay!
Easy Pancakes from Scratch
When cooking pancakes on a non-stick surface you don’t need to brush any butter or oil onto the griddle! Your pancakes can be easily lifted and flipped with a spatula.
- Using a measuring spoon, place 2 tablespoons of batter on the hot griddle.
- As soon as you see bubbles on the surface starting to burst, flip the pancake.
- Allow the pancake to cook for another minute or until it’s golden and done.
Best Pancake Toppings
Breakfast should never be boring. Delicious homemade pancakes can be topped a variety of ways. Mix things up. Try new pancake toppings!
- Raspberries, blueberries, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, or blackberries
- A pat of butter plus maple syrup, honey or blue agave nectar
- A sprinkling of powdered sugar
- Yogurt plus nuts or granola
- A generous dollop of ricotta cheese
- Scoop of vanilla ice cream with a long drizzle of hot fudge
- A spoonful of marshmallow fluff
- Dulce de leche
- Nutella or jam
- Fried egg plus two strips of crispy bacon
- Cream cheese frosting plus chocolate chips
What’s the Trick for Fluffy Pancakes?
- Adding lemon juice to the batter.
- Not over mixing the pancake batter.
- FOR AN EXTRA BOOST OF FLUFFINESS: Separate the eggs. Add in the yolks with the wet ingredients and mix until blended. The final step is folding or stirring the egg whites into the batter.
If you liked these homemade pancakes, you’ll enjoy these other pancake recipes too:
Say goodbye to flat, rubbery, over-cooked pancakes. Making light fluffy pancakes has never been easier! This delicious recipe for pancakes from scratch is a keeper!
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup whole or low-fat milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Preheat a non-stick pan or griddle over medium/low heat.
- Sift the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda into a deep mixing bowl. Whisk the dry ingredients until just mixed.
- *For the fluffiest pancakes, see notes below. Add all the wet ingredients into the bowl. Whisk until incorporated. Do not overmix. The pancake batter may still have lumps, and that’s okay!
- With a measuring spoon, form each pancake by ladling two tablespoons of batter onto the griddle. As soon as bubbles rise to the surface and begin to pop, flip your pancakes over. Cook for another minute or so, until your fluffy pancakes are lightly golden and done.
- Serve straight off the griddle with your favorite toppings!
WHAT’S THE TRICK TO FLUFFY PANCAKES?
- Adding lemon juice to the pancake batter.
- Not over-mixing the batter.
- FOR AN EXTRA BOOST OF FLUFFINESS: Separate the eggs. Add in yolks with the wet ingredients and mix until blended. The final step: fold or stir egg whites into the batter.
Keywords: pancakes, fluffy pancakes, homemade pancakes, pancakes from scratch
FLUFFY PANCAKES > JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Do you enjoy homemade pancakes from scratch? What do you think about this yummy recipe for fluffy pancakes? Join the conversation in the comments below!