Frosted animal crackers are a fun throw-back to the magical days of childhood! These cookies are very simple to make at home. Double the recipe for cookie exchanges, birthday parties or to share with family and friends. Enjoy with a glass of milk, hot tea, or coffee.
- Begin by roughly chopping or snapping the white chocolate baking bars into small pieces. Place the pieces into a very dry microwave-safe bowl. Because the chocolate tends to re-harden quickly, I recommend melting just one and a half bars of chocolate at a time.
- Microwave the chocolate for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes at 50% power. Remove the bowl and stir well with a very dry rubber spatula (no dampness on it). Continue to microwave the white chocolate in 30-second increments at 50% power, stirring after each session until the chocolate is fully melted. The most important tip to remember when melting white chocolate: do not get any water, not even a tiny drip, into the white chocolate as it melts or it will seize up and become lumpy.
- Make the white frosted animal crackers first. With a thin spatula frost each of the animal crackers. I only frost one side as that’s plenty of frosting for each cookie. But if you’d like to dip the whole animal cookie into the frosting you’ll need about 5 bars of white chocolate to do that. Before the chocolate hardens, sprinkle the top of the cookies with rainbow sprinkles. Place the cookies on a cooling rack until the frosting hardens.
- After making the white frosted animal crackers, melt another bar and a half of white chocolate to make the pink frosted animal cookies. Add a small drop of pink gel food coloring to the melted chocolate and stir. If the color is too light, just add a second drop and stir again. If the chocolate hardens during the frosting process, simply microwave it for 20 seconds at 50% power. Stir and it’s ready to go again!
- Store your frosted animal cookies in an airtight container.
- Category: Snack, Dessert, Party
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: frosted animal crackers, animal cracker recipe, homemade animal crackers