When it comes to the best birthday breakfast ideas, funfetti pancakes from scratch are the perfect beginning to a special day! These festive and colorful funfetti pancakes are super quick and easy to make from standard ingredients you most likely already have in your pantry. Stacked up a mile high and served on a small cake stand, these gorgeous funfetti pancakes can easily double as a breakfast birthday cake. So get out the sprinkles and surprise someone you love with this fun, celebratory birthday breakfast!
FUNFETTI PANCAKE BATTER
- 2 + 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 +1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons melted butter, slightly cooled (plus more butter for greasing the griddle)
- 2/3 cup rainbow sprinkles (jimmies)
- 3 cups powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 4+ tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Add the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla to a mixing bowl. Whisk, whisk, whisk until the glaze is smooth without lumps. For a thinner glaze, add a little more milk and whisk again.
FUNFETTI PANCAKE BATTER
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, granulated sugar, and salt. Mix briefly until blended.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. For fluffy pancakes, briefly mix until blended taking care not to over mix the batter. The pancake batter will be thick with some small lumps, which is perfectly fine.
- With a silicone spatula, slowly, gently, carefully fold the rainbow sprinkles into the pancake batter until just incorporated. Do not stir as this may cause the colorful sprinkles to bleed into the batter.
- Generously butter a pancake griddle. Place it on your stovetop over medium heat. Once the butter is melted and hot, ladle pancake batter onto your griddle using a 1/4 measuring cup. Allow the pancakes to cook undisturbed for approximately one minute. When the sides of the pancakes begin to look cooked AND you see small bubbles rising to the surface, quickly flip the pancakes over. Allow the pancakes to continue cooking until done (about 2 minutes). Remove the griddle from heat and butter it up again. Pour the batter onto the griddle, and then place the griddle over medium-low heat and repeat the cooking process.
- Optional: Serve a stack of funfetti pancakes on a cake stand. Drizzle the pancakes with vanilla glaze, allowing the glaze to trickle down the sides of the stack of pancakes. Sprinkle more confetti on top. If desired, add a little whipped cream to the top of the pancakes. Get ready to surprise your special someone with a birthday breakfast!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch, Party
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pancakes, birthday, kid-friendly