Chocolate GANACHE is a decadent gourmet treat that’s quick and easy to make and very versatile. Use ganache to glaze cakes, make homemade chocolate frosting, tarts, brownies, mousse, truffles, and as a yummy chocolate dip for fruit, cookies and more. Mmm…it’s so darn yummy!
- 1 + 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 4 four-ounce semi-sweet chocolate baking bars (use high-quality chocolate!)
- Snap the chocolate baking bars into small pieces and set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring the heavy whipping cream to a light boil. Immediately turn off the heat but allow the pan to remain on the burner.
- Add the chocolate pieces to the hot cream. With a wooden spoon or heat-safe spatula, stir, stir, stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. There should be no lumps.
- Transfer your chocolate ganache to a heat-safe bowl. Refrigerate it briefly until it’s cooled down to room temperature. (If you leave it in the refrigerator too long the chocolate will harden up.) Your ganache is now ready to star in your favorite dessert recipe!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- STORAGE. How long will ganache last? Ganache will last for up to two weeks when refrigerated in an air-tight container.
- ICING FOR CAKE. How much ganache is needed to glaze a cake? This recipe yields enough ganache to glaze one 3-layer cake.
- HOMEMADE FROSTING. How to make chocolate frosting? Cool your freshly-made ganache in the refrigerator until it’s cool to the touch. Transfer the cold ganache to the bowl of a stand mixer. Whip the ganache on high speed for 2-3 minutes or until it begins to hold it’s shape. (Don’t over whip the ganache or it will develop a grainy texture.) Now you’re ready to frost a yummy batch of cupcakes! I like using a decorating tip – it’s a super easy way to make desserts look fancy!
- HOW TO SOFTEN HARDENED GANACHE. How do you reheat ganache? Briefly reheat it in a saucepan on your stovetop (or in the microwave) to bring it back to pouring or spreading consistency.
- FLAVORED GANACHE. How to make flavored ganache? Simply add in one tablespoon of vanilla extract, or your favorite liqueur (mine is Kahlua), or espresso powder to taste, etc.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Dessert, Party
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dark chocolate ganache, chocolate ganache recipe