Ginger snap cookies are holiday favorites. With crunchy edges and bendy middles, they’re irresistible! Make these molasses cookies for Santa.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick), at room temp
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup molasses (not blackstrap molasses)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
For rolling: granulated sugar
RECIPE PREP: Adjust oven rack to the center position. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Pull out wire cooling racks.
- In a large bowl, beat granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter. Add egg, molasses and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl, measure flour using the fluff-sprinkle-swipe method. Add baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Mix briefly. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix until combined. Don’t over-mix.
- Use a small metal scoop to form 1-inch balls of cookie dough with a flattened top. Drop pucks directly into a small bowl of granulated sugar. Roll them in sugar until they’re round and fully coated. Pop the tray of cookie dough into the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes, until cookies are puffed up, cracked, and the edges have set. Remove from oven. Let cookies sit on the baking tray for 3 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack. They’ll become firmer and crisper as they cool.
Stored cooled ginger snaps in a zip-top bag or cover tightly in plastic wrap. They’ll stay fresh at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- HOW TO MAKE GINGER SNAP COOKIES CRISPIER: For crisper cookies, swap granulated sugar for brown sugar. Swap shortening for butter. Bake gingersnaps 2 to 4 minutes longer.
- HOW TO GIVE GINGER SNAPS ADDED SPARKLE: As soon as the treats are removed from the oven, sprinkle the tops with sanding sugar. It gives these Christmas cookies a beautiful sparkly presentation.
- HOW TO FREEZE UNBAKED COOKIE DOUGH: Place the sugared balls of cookie dough on a baking tray, leaving space between each piece. Pop the tray of cookie dough in the freezer for 30 minutes or until frozen solid. Transfer to a zip-top freezer bag, using parchment paper between the layers of cookie dough. Remove excess air. Freeze up to 3 months.
- HOW TO FREEZE BAKED COOKIES: Start with completely cooled cookies. Arrange them in a single layer on a baking tray. Pop the tray into the freezer for 30 minutes or until frozen solid. Layer frozen cookies between pieces of parchment paper. Put in a zip-top bag. Freeze up to 1 month.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: German, Dutch, English
Keywords: Ginger Snap Cookies, Ginger Snaps, Molasses Cookies